Chapter 8

There is always more to the story than what's written on the page.  You have to look beyond the words, dive deeper than you did before.  In order to get an idea of what is really happening, you will have to reread the chapter over and over.

The same goes for people-murderers, even.  Not all of them are as heartless as they may appear.  Some of them, yes, are nothing but cruel.  But others are motivated by one thing in particular.  One thing that drives them to do unthinkable crimes, and even take someone's life.  It's an obsession, really, a wanting to have something or someone.  The object, idea, or person has taken up so much of their hearts, that they think that is all they have left. 

So, the killing may not be a result of having no heart, but quite the opposite. 

~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Gupta is sitting next to you, so you have to work with him for this project.  It's not bad or anything like that, it's just that he is so good at everything that you get really self conscious when you have to do assignments and such with him. 

"Um, Ms. Jay?   I might have-uh-forgotten to bring a pencil. . .," Tasos croaks.

"THEN GET OUT."

"I could use the dirt under my toenails.  It's turning black and looks sort of like graphite and-"

"Don't be ignorant!  I don't want my room to smell like stinky feet."  Ms. Jay cringes at the thought.  "If you don't have supplies then there is no way you can participate in this class.  I'm sorry, but you'll have to leave.  I have no other options for you."

Tasos lowers his head in shame and walks towards the door. 

"Hey," you say as Tasos passes by your table.  "I brought extra pencils."

You hand him a pencil and his hand touches yours for a gross second.

"Thank you so much!" Tasos is beaming. "I could hug you right now!  But I won't.  Ms. jay would scream at me for PDA or something."

Ms. Jay clears her throat and Tasos rushes back to his table.  He looks back at you and smiles.  You smile back.  Just to be nice.

"Does anybody need clarification for this study,?"  Ms. Jay inquires.  A few people say "No" and others shake their head.  "Very well.  Begin."