Chapter 12

Eventually ten came around and I got a text from Cole.

"Hey, you weren't at school, are we still on for tonight?" Oh, I had completely forgotten about him coming over.

Yeah, just had to babysit. Come on over," I don't see why not, my mom was gone and wouldn't be back forever.

"Cool, cause I have to talk to you." That sounds menacing. What idiot says that, it is guaranteed to make someone anxious

I spent what felt like hours waiting for him on the porch. When he finally arrived, he looked really surprised to see me outside.

"What the literal hell!?" I pushed him gently when he reached me. He stared at me bewildered so I continued, "You don't just text someone I need to talk to you then make them wait!"

"Oh, right!" He looked around cautiously, "My parents are getting suspicious and so is Kayla so this might be our last night." I frowned, I hadn't even known this strange boy for a week and I really knew nothing about him, but at the same time, I knew everything. After we did, what we did, we would just talk and I know you are supposed to bond before you screw, but it felt a million times more intimate. I didn't want him to be that kid I see at school and have to pretend I barely know.

Tears started to well up in my eyes so I lead him inside.. He knew the quickest way to my bedroom and he instantly made himself comfortable. I had wiped away my tears and evened out my voice, when he wasn't looking.

I crawled next to him on my bed and I just sat there, I expected him to do what he always did and ruin my moment of looking at him because he just wanted sex, but he just stared at me. We stared into each other's eyes again and I couldn't help it as a tear fell from my face. I wiped it away and he reached for my chin giving me a kiss.

"I love you." He mumbled under his breathe.

"What?" The statement surprised me, I thought he didn't care.

"Nothing," he gave me that smirk, that I loved more than anything and we did what we do best.

Normally afterwards we would lay beside each other not touching or speaking, but I laid down against his side and whispered in his ear.

"If you love me, why don't you leave her?" I didn't know where my courage had come from but I was going to ride it out.

"Because I love her more." I nodded and held myself together. He got up and put on his pants, he reached for his shirt as I tried to hold myself together. I watched him leave and the second that door shut i collapsed.

I sat there on the bed a crying, gasping mess of the girl I was. I had sworn not to let anyone hurt me a long time ago, yet, look at my life. I was crying because a stupid fling had broken my heart, I cried everyday because my parents had never loved me, and I spent everyday trying to make sure my sister was okay.

I couldn't take it, I grabbed my jacket and headed out the door. I made sure he wasn't still around and I pulled on my jacket and started walking. I wasn't sure where I was going and I didn't care. I couldn't do this anymore.

I waited at the edge of my street for a pick-up truck to go. When it was pretty clear he was waiting for me, I started to walk, just as I went the truck jolted forward and trapped my foot under it. I screamed for the driver to stop but he just kept driving forward. I felt my foot being crushed, then my ankle, my knee. Blood was dripping down my leg and on the other side of the tire I saw the crushed remains of my foot.

The truck stopped with its tire on my knee, a crowd had gathered around, gasping and watching me. The truck then backed up, crushing my leg again and making me scream louder in pain. I looked down at my leg, now free from the truck's grasp. A darkness clouded over my vision, but I heard every noise and felt all the pain.

I opened my eyes in a hospital, my mother sitting in the corner and my sister crying next to her. My instincts kicked in and I started to get up to comfort her but then felt a sharp pain in my thigh and screamed.

"Em! Are you ok?" My mother rushed to my side and I looked down, my leg was completely flattened.

"Hey, Maddie, It's ok." I attempted to comfort my sister, while crying.

"Maddie! Wait in the hallway, You are stressing your sister!" My mother screamed at her and I lost it.

"Shut the hell up! Yeah, I'm in pain so what? She's worried about me and I want her here so quit pretending to care and get out!" My mother gave me a disgusted look and left the room. My sister giggled a little and mumbled a, "Damn"

"Hey, can you get me my phone?" I smiled at her.

"Wow! You are addicted." She joked and handed me my phone out of my bloody jacket on the chair.

"How did that get so bloody?" I wondered aloud.

"You don't remember how you put it on you leg to stop the blood?" I did what?! I shook my head and she looked at me amazed.

"Hey little accident happened so I'm in the hospital nothing major." I texted Charlotte and quickly got 2 new texts on my phone.

"What the hell?! Are you ok?" Charlotte's text made me smile and I assured her I was ok.

"I'm sitting by Charlotte, It's lunch time. Which hospital" Cole's text through me off.

"Hey, Maddie, what hospital are we at?" I asked her, giving her my warmest smile.

"Marietta Memorial." I quickly typed that in and sent it.

"I'm on my way. My dad is giving me a ride." I watched a tear fall onto the phone from my face. I so wanted to see him alone, but I needed my friends.

"Bring Charlotte and Kayla." I texted and laid down. I turned to my sister and listened to her unload about her new anime. Smiling when needed and laughing. I did my best to ignore my leg's pain but occasionally I screamed.