Chapter 13

Kayla, Charlotte, and Cole walked through the hospital curtain after about an hour of talking with my sister. Charlotte was the first to rush to my side, as Kayla and Cole just stared at the bloody blanket covering my leg. Without hesitation Charlotte ripped the blanket off to see my leg.
It wasn't bloody or even scarred, in fact it looked fine. Charlotte screamed like she saw something I didn't. I looked at her confused and she stopped screaming when she saw my face.

"Oh, thank god you see it." she looked like she was fighting to not roll her eyes.

"See what?" I looked back down at my leg, flexing it, it was fine, "There's nothing there."

"Exactly" She said moving the blanket away from the hospital bed and onto the couch. The blanket was now completely clear of blood. What the hell is happening?!

"Exactly?" I pulled away from her, so she stepped back. Was she some kind of witch or something?!

"I was sent to help you through this process." Her warm hands stroked my arm to calm me down.

"Process?" I fought the urge to pull away from her touch. She smiled at me the way she had when we first met and I remembered that she was Charlotte, my friend. Her other hand reached for my head and I stayed still. She grabbed my head and pushed it harshly onto the pillow as I screamed.

I was under the truck again, terrified as it pulled off of my leg and blood dripped. People surrounded me but this time it didn't go dark, the pain didn't go away either. I heard the ambulance come but it was too late. I was dead. I knew the second, I had gone dark the first time, deep in my mind I knew.
My eyes flashed open and this time I was in a darkness. No Kayla, no Maddie, and no Cole. It was just Charlotte and me.

"Are you dead too?" I felt oddly calm and free. Charlotte nodded at me as her face slowly changed. It was decomposing, skin was falling off and she was missing an eye. I would have run in fear but there was no where to go. It was just darkness.

"If you stay true and pure in life, you get the choice to help people who are going to die." She said finally showing me her true form of broken flesh.

"Do I get that choice?" I asked knowing the answer. I wasn't pure. She frowned and shook her head.

"You have been charged with the death of your innocence in search of love." She suddenly became very formal causing me to shiver.

"Doesn't everyone lose there innocence?" I couldn't be the only one.

"Not if they are stricken down as a child. I was an 8 year old when I died. People believe that there is a god and a devil or there is nothing, but neither are true. There is the ruler and the dead. The ruler was the first man to ever die and in anger of dying young he punishes all those who ever truly lived." She frowned as she spoke, watching the ground.

"What is my punishment?" I could handle this, I was strong.

"The punishment is made to fit the crime, because you killed your innocence in search of love and acceptance. You have been placed here to be alone for 500 years at which point, you will be released to be run over for all eternity."

Before I could process the tragedy of my new existence, she was gone and my solitude had begun...