All the Wrong Reasons - Part 2

Crossing the threshold of a house is what newly wed couples do to symbolise their new life together however in my case crossing the threshold was the equivalent of being welcomed into hell. The first thing I was greeted with awful music. The music was too loud to be able to make out any lyrics, as the whole piece merged into a pile of mush into my ears. The make matters ever worse, people were demanding songs that were tolerable to be sacrificed and slaughtered by the excuse that can only be called ‘the DJ’. 

After dodging and swerving away from various types of drunken people, I had managed to catch up with the others. By the time I had arrived in the kitchen, Jamie had already scoured the place for an alcoholic beverage of some sorts.

‘Fuck,’ Jamie hissed.

‘All the good stuff’s gone. I’m going to go find someone to see if we can score some drinks for free.’ Then, without a glance backwards Jamie had strolled off through the patio doors and into the garden.

‘I bet you bathroom cleaning duty for a week that we wont see her again till its time to go,’ I snickered. Hannah and Lee shook their heads, but said nothing. We all knew that to bet against me would be suicide as what I had said was true.

‘Gue-‘ I started, but before I could finish what I was saying in strolled Robin and Jordan. After the manly head nod greeting of acknowledgement, both men went for their women. Robin smirked at Lee and picked her up, before setting her on the counter and giving her mouth-to-mouth. Jordan, who seemed to have taken a leaf out of Robins book, walked up to Hannah and engulfed her into a bear hug. Seeing my friends’ faces light up at the sight of their boyfriends was a bittersweet moment. I was happy that they were happy, but I was angry that I would never find someone who would look at me like that. I wasn’t desirable in the very least. Hell I could barely look in the mirror without flinching in disgust. How on Earth someone else would be able to do it was beyond me.

I quickly backtracked the way I came. There were two couples in the kitchen, and I didn’t want to be a spare wheel that was pitied by her friends and their boyfriends. Nevertheless, this left me with another dilemma. People. Lots of people in a little space. I wasn’t keen on walking through the intoxicated students because they seemed to be getting very touchy feely, and that was certainly something I wasn’t comfortable with. What if someone was so drunk they decided to touch me? Just the feel of my chubby stomach would be enough for them to sober up in disgust.

Sucking in a deep breath, which would hopefully make my stomach look smaller, I started to weave in between the people on my way towards the front door. I was doing well until a hand came out of nowhere and spilled an unknown yellowy brown substance on me. Even though it wasn’t my fault, I mumbled an apology, as I was eager to get out of here as soon as possible. But no, nothing is ever that easy.

‘God, do you even look where you’re going? Fat bitch,’ grumbled the intoxicated man.

‘Sorry,’ I squeaked, before trying to back away. The operative word being ‘trying’.

‘You should be, spilling people’s drinks and taking up all the room you cow.’ I said nothing, instead I willed myself not to cry in front of the stranger. I knew that everything he was saying was true, I had told myself the same things countless times, so why was it bothering me so much?

‘Oi! Are you listening to me? You owe me a drink! Do you understand? Shit man do you need to me to moo it to you? Is that the only thing cows understand?’ Whilst the man started to moo, I fumbled with my jean pocket and pulled out the first bit of change I had in there.

‘I’m sorry, but this is all I have,’ and with that I flung him the five dollar bill and made my great escape before any more people could start mooing along.

Once I reached the front door, I was greeted with splatters from the torrential rain. To make it worse, the heat was still present, making the air thick. I hesitated in my tracks wondering if it was better to go on home in this weather or to go back in. The echoing of the mooing made my decision. I pulled up by cardigan to wrap around my body and I stepped outside. I wanted to leave but I knew I couldn’t. I had the car keys as I had driven us all here. However a little voice in my head told me they would be fine, Hannah and Lee could easily get a lift of their boyfriends and Jamie would find a way to get back home, she always did manage to bounce back.

During my internal debate, I hadn’t realised that the front door had opened, or that there had been a figure watching me. It wasn’t until I had started to pat down my jeans to wiggle out the car keys that the voice spoke.