Waiting For a Train

Mary Grace was sitting on the porch of her ranch house in Tennessee. A dog was running across the field with a young boy running with it. She could hear the young boy's shouts of happiness as he played with the dog. She turned her head to see Buck sitting next to her. He was smiling with his eyes closed as if he was appreciating his son's happy shouts. Slowly the shouts morphed from joy into screams and gun shots. Mary was jolted awake in a cold sweat. She felt helpless.

Mary Grace tore herself from the blankets and ran to the bathroom. She stared into the mirror at her reflection. It was pale. She was pale. Was she sick?

Mary Grace washed her face to calm her racing heart. The cool water got her out of her frenzy. She drew herself a hot bath to take away her chill. This happened every time she got one of Buck's letters. She was terrified for Buck.

The warm water helped her stop thinking about her dream. She relaxed in the bubbly water. The longer she was in the bath the harder it was to remember what made the dream so terrifying. Soon the dream was a distant memory.

Mary Grace got out of her bath and dried off. She got dressed and looked at the time. It was almost time for the first bus of the day. She headed out to the bus stop with her envelop in hand and purse over her shoulder.

The whole world seemed to be silent as Mary Grace waited for the bus to come. She could hear the bird chirp pleasantly, and there was a haze that blanketed the world. A tear ran down her cheeks as she let out a yawn. The bus pulled up before she noticed it. The morning was beautiful, and a loud bus couldn't spoil it.

Mary Grace stepped onto the almost empty bus. She sat alone at a window seat and stared out into the morning. The bus stopped again, and a tall man walked on. Mary recognized him as Mike from the day before. His black hair was disheveled, and his hat barely managing to stay on his head. He looked tired, very tired.

Then Mike saw Mary Grace. He walked slowly to sit beside her. She looked back out the window. The letter tucked safely in her purse made her feel guilty over something she hadn't even done.

"Mornin'," Mike said as a small smile drifted to his lips.

"Mornin'," Mary Grace grunted. She could feel burning in her chest. Go away, she thought desperately.

"Funny how we're seeing each other again real soon," Mike said.

"Funny," Mary Grace mumbled scanning the view in the bus window. The post office was two more stops. She had to hang on until then.

The bus stopped once to pick up passengers. A few more people filed on taking up more and more seats. The next bus stop took in more passengers. Mary Grace was on the edge of her seat. The bus stopped at the post office, and Mary Grace shot up. She quickly made her way off the bus. She walked into the post office without looking back and went straight to the post box. She dropped Buck's letter in then she turned around.

There was Mike towering above her.

Mike smiled at Mary Grace. "Mailin' a letter?" He asked.

Mary Grace nodded. She noted the envelope Mike pulled out of his jacket. "We're jus' runnin' into each other all tha time," Mary Grace said smiling at the sheer silliness of their encounter.

Twice in two days. There had to be something to it. Mike dropped his envelope into the post box. "I reckon we'll have to wait for tha next bus together," He said.

Mary Grace shrugged. "I have a few errands to do," She said.

Mike looked around. "I'm not doin' anything," He said. "I could come along with you."

Mary Grace glanced around. Why not? It wasn't like she wanted to date him or anything. "Sure," She said walking off.

Mike followed behind. He stuck his hands in his pockets. Mary Grace went to a nearby grocery store and went to get some things she needed. She grabbed some items from the shelves like bread, cheese, a package of noodle, and a few other things. Mike seemed to be getting his own shopping done because he stopped to grab a few commodities, mainly snack food.

Across the street from the grocery store was a used record store. Mary Grace decided after she finished her shopping she would go and look around for a record or two. She wanted to find something interesting.

Mary Grace went to the register and bought the few items she needed. She walked out with the items she bought under her arm. Outside it was cloudy, and it looked like it was going to rain again like it had the day before. Mary Grace regretted not buying an umbrella. She walked across the street to the record store and looked at a few of the records. None of them sparked her fancy so she turned to walked out of the store empty handed, but it was raining outside.

Mike was running across the street with an umbrella in his hand. Mary Grace ran out of the record store and towards Mike and his umbrella. Mike smiled at her. She looked down at her watch. "We've gotta get ta the bus stop," She said.

Mike smiled. "Like that Hollies' song," He said.

"Bus stop?" Mary Grace said; she snorted. "As if."

"Please share my umbrella," Mike said smiling.

Mary Grace rolled her eyes. "Don't expect the umbrella to lead you to a vow," She said.

Mike took her arm and they ran towards the bus stop just as the bus pulled up. They both rushed into the bus. They were dripping wet despite the umbrella. Mike and Mary Grace took seats beside each other. They looked at one another and started laughing. The people on the bus stared as if Mary Grace and Mike were insane.