Chapter 1

Before I start this chapter I just want to say t hank you for clicking on this story! I really hope you enjoy!
**~**
I couldn't handle everything. I couldn't believe he had told me, only 24 hours after she had passed. I, Faye Bradshaw, was adopted. I wish she could have been there to tell me. She would hold me in her arms and say even though I wasn't really hers, she loved me like I was. I'll always call her my mother, and I'll always call him my father. My real parents, wherever they are, are nothing to me.

The car ride to our new life was way too silent for me. My dad tried to make small talk, but we eventually would just, stop talking. Nothing seemed real, but it was.

I tried to keep my mind occupied by reading, but looking down made me car sick. So, I just stared out the window, earbuds in.
"We're almost there, in case you were wondering," my dad says as I pull one of my earbuds out. I nod and go to put my earbud back in. "So, are you excited? You know, to start school?" Ugh, the thought makes me nauseous. I can feel the anxiety building up inside me. I guess he could tell, because he continues talking, "I know Faye, it's terrifying. And the anxiety isn't good for you, especially because, well.." He breaks off and slouches into his chair. I know he's thinking about her. I know I am. The light in his eyes has dimmed, and he doesn't smile as much. He told me that she was his world, and he has lost her, but he also said I am his moon, and as long as I keep shinning, he'll try to too.
~
The northern California beach town Cliffspoint, is small. I'm not used to small, but I think this will be better than the city life we're used to. Driving through town, I make a mental note of any places I might want to visit: the library, a coffee shop, and a beach boutique. Then, passing a cupcake shop, an image of my mother pops into my head. She was a baker. All she liked to do was bake. I'd come home from school, walk into the kitchen and find her covered in egg and flower, trying some new baking technique. I'd giggle and ask her what she was up to, and she'd say, "Oh, well I saw this new way to make bread and I just had to try it." She always got really excited about trying new things. I sigh and wipe the one tear that escaped my eye.

I look over at my dad who seems as if he's in another world. I smile slightly and look back at the road ahead. Suddenly, my dad makes a sharp left turn, and I jerk to the side. Once steady, I sit up and brush my long, blonde hair out of my face. "Sorry Faye. I almost missed that turn." I just laugh and turn my attention to passing houses. Large and expensive looking. "Woah," I say under my breath. "Woah is right." My dad says admiring the houses. I look up just to see a guy run out into the street. "Dad! Look out!!" He immediately looks up and slams on the breaks just in time. The guy looks up started, basketball in hand. He's tall, tan, and has dark wavy hair. He gives a little wave and jogs back up to one of the enormous houses. "God, rich kids. Don't give crap about anyone." My dad huffs, beginning to drive once again.

Soon, we arrive at our small beach house, a five minute walk to the beach and a ten minute walk to Cliffspoint High. I push the thought of school out of my head and step out of our car. I look at the house and I wonder what my mother would think of it. I'm sure she'd see it as an opportunity. We need to look at it that way too. A new start.
**~**

I hope you guys enjoyed this first chapter! Sorry it was so short! Give me feedback in the comments and let me know if you want me to continue!