Chapter 7

Faye's POV

"You almost what?!"

"We almost kissed." I tell Rosie for the second time.

"I can't believe it. Like, you wanted to?"

I facepalm and cringe, "Yeah. I'm the one who leaned in first."

Rosie squeals, "Ahhh this is amazing! I knew you liked him! I knew it I knew it I knew it!!" She does a little dance and points a finger at me, "I told you so and you're welcome."

I roll my eyes and lie back in the sand. The sound of the waves crashing into the shore is so relaxing. I could stay here forever.

"Rosie, can we not talk about Brice right now? The though of us being together stresses me out. I just want to chill right now." She sighs, fixes her towel, and lies back too.

"Hey, what about you?" I ask her, remembering a question I've been meaning to.

"Huh?"

"Are there any guys you like?"

"Oh. Well, there was one guy but we moved to Alaska."

I laugh, thinking she's joking. When she doesn't laugh back, I ask, "Wait, really?"

Now she laughs, "Yeah. His dad owns a fishing company and I guess the fishing is better there."

"And you don't like anyone that still lives here?"

"Nope. Cliffspoint High guys are always the same. I've known most of them since Elementary school." She tells me sitting up and reaching into her pink bag. She pulls out two lemonades and hands one to me. Leaning back on one hand, I put my sunglasses on my head and take the glass bottle.

"So date someone not from Cliffspoint High."

"Faye, the only other guys our age are either home schooled or they go to Cliffspoint Prep Academy, a private school."

I quietly sip my lemonade. Although I don't want to talk about him, I can't help but think about him. The way his eyes sparkle. The way he can smirk and make heart beat like crazy and my stomach do flips. I didn't want this to happen, but somehow, it did.

~
Brice's POV

"Mom? Hey, mom? Wake up."

Mom jolted up out of her bed, breathing heavy, "What what?!"

I chuckle quietly, "I just wanted to let you know I'm going to go open the shop. Don't worry about getting up. Just take your time. I can handle it."

She shakes my words off and continues trying to get out of bed.

"No. Mom. Lie back. Rest some more." I gently try to lay her back down.

She finally gives in and lies back, pushing back her nutmeg brown hair. She sighs, looking up at me with her big blue eyes. She reaches up to touch my cheek. Me, being near 6'2, have to bend down to let her warm, soft hand touch my cheek. Fingers and knuckes from her 45 years of life. I put my hand on hers and smile at her.

"Oh, my sweet Brice. What would I do without you?" She asks sincerely. I like to think Dad would be there for her, but he has thrown himself into his work since her cancer came back. He says he does it to make her life easier, but I know it's because he doesn't want to look at her when she's sick.

"We aren't going to find out. I'm not giving up on you." She smiles even bigger, making the wrinkles around her eyes more prominent. She releases my face and says, "Now, go be the best damn bakery owner the world has ever seen!"

I decide to walk to the shop instead of driving. It's annoyingly warm outside for Autumn. Maybe I should have driven. I wipe the sweat off of brow and look at my watch. 12:55. Five minutes to get the store. I pick up the pace, now I'm jogging. Once I get there, the door is unlocked, and the open sign hangs in the window. I push the door open and the cool rush of the A.C greats me, as well as Mei, our chef. Before my mom got sick, she'd bake all of the cupcakes. She tried to teach me how to do it, but I ruined every batch, no matter how hard I tried not to. So, in turn, my mom hired a chef and had me become the front man.

"Good afternoon Brice. How's your mom doing today?"

I shrug, "Mentally, she's the same Charlotte. Physically, well, she's pretty bad off. She wants to get up and help here but she can't, and it drives her crazy."

She nods and goes back to the kitchen. I glance around the little shop, both admiring and despising my mom's decorating. It's perfect for a cupcake shop, but something all the colors make me feel nauseous.

"Brice, here. Make yourself useful." Mei cautiously sets down a tray of iced mini cupcakes. "I made these last night, then put them in the freezer so they'd be nice and sturdy today. You are going to tooth pick them to this Styrofoam ball. It'll be a ball of cupcakes!" I guess she saw the concern in my face because next she says, "Stop making that face and get to work! Can't you trust me? If they fall apart or it looks stupid you can say I told you so."
~
Making the ball of cupcakes took longer than expected. Twenty minutes longer. I took that time to think about Faye. Not that there isn't a time I don't think about Faye, but Friday night came with new thoughts, new concerns. Why all of the sudden is she different. Sweeter, more flirty? Is she messing with me? It seemed real to me. Faye isn't like any other girl I've met. Most girls, like Leyla, are usually all over me. Not that I'm complaining, but still. I just don't know exactly what I feel for her. Do I like her because she treats me differently, or do I like her for who she is? Why am I thinking like this? This has never been an issue. Ugh what's wrong with me?

I look up, startled by the sound of yelling. Outside I see Rosie shouting at something out of my view.
~
Faye's POV

"Lottie's Cupcakery?" I ask reading the painted wood sign.

"Yep. Best cupcakes ever."

I can't even focus. All I can think about is my mom. I don't hear Rosie, I hear my mom. Her saying my name. Her singing in the morning as she's getting ready for work. I can't. I can't go in there. I panic. Next thing I know, I'm running in the opposite direction of Rosie.

"Faye! Where are you going?! Come back!"

I keep going, not knowing exactly where I'm headed. I slow my running to a slow jog, once I know I'm out of eye shot from Rosie. Why hadn't I explored more? Where am I? Wait, I know where I am. There's the library. Oh, that's not library.

Finally, I can't jog around town anymore. I make my way into Bailey Park and find a tree to sit under. I lean back, gazing up at the bits of sky I can see through the tree tops. Mom would love this place. So peaceful. Another tear falls down my face. I quickly swipe it away as I hear someone back up behind me.

"Hey."

The feel voice isn't what I was expecting. I turn and see Brice's tall fit frame staring back at me.

"Oh, hi."

"Can I sit here?" He asks walking closer. I nod and he plops down next to me in the grass.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, wondering why he was randomly walking around a park.

"I saw you run away from the bakery. When I came out, Rosie said you ran away. This is where I come to think, so I came here first."

"You were at the bakery?"

"I work there, actually."

"Oh."

"So."

"So."

"Are we going to talk about why you ran away, or Friday night?"

I take a deep breath, thinking about his question. Honestly, I'd rather just sit here quietly. But, "Both, I guess."
*~*

Well guys, how was that? I decided to do Brice's POV because it was brought to my attention that Brice's character isn't very deep. So, I wanted you guys to see what his life is like, and what goes on in his head. I hope you liked it! New chapter coming soon!