Chapter 13: Oh Miss Lacey (years later)

"Oh miss Lacey!"

A small blur of red ran through the doors of my clothing store.

"Summer, does your mama know you're down here?"

She grinned and nodded her head, making her pigtails loose.

"Yes, ma'am and she asked you could watch me for a few hours I brought you some flowers from the pasture."

She pulled out a small bouquet of field flowers from behind her back.

"Aww thanks, sweetie."

I scooped her up in my arms and kissed her on the cheek

She wrapped her small arms around my neck and returned the manner then buried her face in my hair.

I carried her out of my shop, locking up behind us. I turned to start towards my house and felt a small rain drop on my head.

"Boy, miss Lacey God must like your shop real good. he's crying cause you're closing down."

I laughed at Summers awed tone. she looked at me, scrunching her little eyebrows and got that cute wrinkle in her nose.

I shook my head

"You're just too cute baby girl."

She stuck her lip out and pouted.

"I don't see how that's funny miss Lacey" she grumbled

I chuckled at her again and continued walking down the street to my cozy two level house.

"Here we are darling. I unlocked the front door and summer ran right in.

"Finally, I like god and all, but I don't like it when he cries."

I nodded and followed her into the kitchen.

"So we gonna make some cookies or not?" She planted her hands on her hips.

"We will" she clapped and retrieved her apron from the closet that said SUMMER in glittered letters.

I grabbed my apron as well, and also caught a glimpse of the other children's'.

"Now summer, don't you think we ought to ask the other kids if they want to help?"

Summer shook her head and grabbed the bag of flour

"No way miss Lacey, today is Summer day and my day only."

I saluted her drawing my lips into a straight line.

"Sir, yes sir."

She shook her head.

"I'm a girl, it's ma'am." She scolded me, clearly not knowing I was mocking her.

"Yes, ma'am." I saluted her again and helped her get the rest of the ingredients out.

"Miss Lacey!" She exclaimed.

"Why are we adding flowers to our cookies?! They won't taste good, and they'll be pink and yellow!"

Her little face had a confused look and she tilted her head like a little puppy.

"No, sweetie this is a different flour, it's the kind we use in a cake too."

"Oh," she giggled and patted the bag she was holding.

"Sneaky flour."

I laughed and got the last ingredient out.

"Ok, are you ready to bake some yummy cookies summer?"

She nodded eagerly and poured some flour in the bowl scattering it across the counter top. oh great, it's gonna be a long day.

*****