Chapter Four: Birthday

I knew my sister wouldn't survive on her own. Maybe she was already dead. I wouldn't know. And the worst part is that I can't remember her name.

    After she left, I stayed in the house. I knew if I left, I would feel even worse. I knew that leaving my parents here while I ran away wouldn't bring them back. I wanted to die for what I had done. I deserved it.

    I sat in the kitchen, weeping, starving myself, refusing sleep. I was trying to punish myself, though I knew that what I had done was unforgivable.

    About two days later, the police came. A neighbor had complained about the smell of death and the sound of faint yet constant crying. They found my parents bodies and took them away. Then they found me, dehydrated and starving, hiding behind the couch, and forced me into an ambulance.

    I stayed in the hospital for only a day. The police came to question me and I told them that I had killed my parents, and asked them to lock me up. They ignored my plea and sent me to an orphanage. That is where I am today.

    It has almost been a decade since that night. Nine years today, actually. It is my sister's fifteenth birthday. No one has adopted me yet. All of the kids either make fun of me or are too scared to talk to me.

    Here come the bullies now. Chad Arden and his sister Nicole with their leader Zackary Wood. Zack likes to think he is a popular ladies man, even though the only girl who shows any interest in him is Nicole. That's the reason why Chad's in the group, his sister is dating Zack.

    "Hey freak. Isn't today some special day for you?" Zack said walking over to me, his "friends" following.

    Every year I do the same thing on this day: I sing my sister happy birthday.

    "Yeah, something to do with her dead family," Chad interjected.

    Happy Birthday to you...

    "Oh, I remember! Today is the day she killed her parents, and her sister's birthday!" Nicole said, "You know, the one whose name she can't remember."

    "That's right," Zack said,"It doesn't really matter though, the brat's probably dead anyways."

    Happy Birthday to you...

    "Don't you dare even talk about my sister!" I said angrily as I stood up.

    "What are you gonna do, huh? It's not like-" Nicole started.

    Happy Birthday dear sister...

    I punched her straight in the jaw.

    It felt good at first, I had stood up for myself. But then I saw the blood. Since that night, I was terrified of blood. I needed to get out of there.

    "How dare you!" Nicole yelled as I ran towards the front door.

    I raced out of the building and stood on the sidewalk, debating which way to go.

    Happy Birthday...

    One of the workers ran towards me, screaming for me to get back inside.

    There were people on both the right and left of the street who would stop me if I ran by them. The only other way was through the traffic.

    I sprinted forward, weaving among the cars, horns and the screeching of rubber against asphalt being heard left and right. I thought that I could make it, until a black truck came into my view. The driver wasn't paying attention to the road and had no intention of slowing down. I was trapped in the middle of the road, no way out. I was going to die. Finally.

    Too you...

Aaaaaaaaaand cliffhanger. Take that people.........I suck at this. Anyways thanks dudes. Duchess of Nerds signing off. Peace!

~ Ze Duchess of ze Nerds