Chapter 22: The Pieces Left Unsolved

Once I am finished eating I head towards the sink. I set my plate in the metallic chamber and head back towards the table.

     "Thanks for breakfast, baby," I say as I kiss Blake.

     "No problem," Blake answers as he finishes feeding Chelsie, "Hey, I'm going to clean this one up. I'll be back in a few,"

     Blake stands up, making sure to push in his chair, and lifts Chelsie out of her seat. He then takes her to the second floor bathroom to wash up.

     I sit back down in my seat, reaching for my phone, when I see a sad looking Melody out of the corner of my eye. She is looking down, twiddling her thumbs.

     "Melody, sweetheart, are you okay?" I ask nicely.

     There was a pause.

     "I-... I'm sorry..." Melody mumbles, no longer speaking in the high pitched voice of a five-year-old. She somehow sounded... older.

     "Sorry? Sorry for what?" I ask, worried about her at this point.

     "For everything... I got you into this mess and... And I... I made you suffer... I'm just... I'm sorry..." she choked out, voice cracking.

     She is now crying lightly as she reaches into her pocket and brings out what looks like a television remote. She presses a couple of buttons and my eyes go wide.

     She... She changed.

     She morphed into the same teenage Melody I saw in my dream. She then attacks me with a bear hug.

     "I'm so sorry... Alice..."

     This is when I notice one key detail. On her right hand, placed neatly around one of her fingers, is a snake with ruby-red eyes.