Chapter 9: Fitting In

Lunch was over and the next class was History with Mrs. Raw. We headed out of the lunch room and into the hall.

    "I'll be back," said Symphony, "I'm gonna go talk to Josh." She headed over to and emo boy who I assumed was her boyfriend.

     I got my stuff from my locker and met up with Elizabeth and Melody.

     "Ugh, they're at it again," said a girl named Katelyn whose locker we were standing by, looking to where Symphony and the emo boy were. They were in a full on make-out session by Josh's locker.

     "One of these days they're gonna get caught and be expelled. Like seriously, get a room," Elizabeth said.

     "You're just jealous that you don't have a boyfriend," Katelyn responded.

     Elizabeth laughed. "Have you met me?"

     "You're right, never mind," Katelyn laughed.

     "So," I said, "Is that normal?"

     "You mean Symphony and Josh?" Melody asked, "Yeah, almost every day now. I actually think it's kinda cute."

     Elizabeth excused herself and went to find Ivy.

     My sister and I started to leave. We walked in silence for a bit. Maybe I could get some answers from Melody now.

     "Um, Melody, after I, um, told you to run, what did you do?" I asked awkwardly.

     "Oh," she said, "Um, well, I just ran. I ran to the park by our house and ripped up my clothes and messed up my hair. Then I flagged down a car and told the people in it I was homeless and asked for a ride to the orphanage. A man and a woman were inside and told me they would let me live with them. So they signed all the papers and stuff and now they're my parents. I told them what really happened when I was eight, so yeah, they know that I had-slash-have a sister."

     We paused for a while.

     "Wow," I said even more awkwardly, "Just... wow."

     "Yeah," she said. We were both staring at the floor.

     "So," I said, "Maybe you could come over to my house and we could hang out one of these days."

     "Yeah," she smiled, "That'd be fun."

     I knew it would be weird for a while, talking to someone I hadn't seen in nine years. Someone I assumed to be dead. Especially since that someone was my sister. But we'd get there soon enough.