V-Dayyyyyy

Theo POV
I sigh loudly as I pace back in forth in my-our-room. Shailene and I had been living together in my apartment for quite some time now, and I was ready to pop the question, but I couldn't just think of myself—I had to think of Shailene too.

I sit down on the bed, a loud yawn escaping my mouth, I'd been up for hours trying to decide what to do, and Shailene was out with her friends, they were having a girls night out.

I closed my eyes, trying to envision a perfect rendition of how this proposal could work.

"Shailene Diann Woodley, you have been a huge impact on my life for a long time now, and I want you to know that I love you, and it's not just puppy love, or anything like that. It's-It's like, it's-here it is. Shailene, I love you. I love you in a really, really big-pretend to like your taste in music, let you eat the last piece of cheesecake, hold a radio over my head outside your window. I-I love you, and it's not going to fade over time or anything, it's strong—my love for you could break buildings, shatter windows, cause the world to set on fire. I love you, and I can't imagine us not spending the rest of our lives together, because we're-we're meant to be. We're meant to be! So please, dear, God, please marry me. So I don't look like a fool in the middle of this damn restaurant. I love you, Shailene Woodley, and I want to spend the rest of my life, with you. So please, marry me?"

It was the speech I had prepared to tell her, give or take a few words. I had prepared to propose to her tomorrow evening, Valentine's Day, sitting in her favorite organic restaurant, Sweet Green, and I'd gotten reservations for the table with the twinkly lights and the romantic music and the seats next to the window. It was going to be perfect, if she'd say yes.

I almost jump when I hear the door unlock, scrambling to put the small black velvet box away so she won't see it. "Theo?" I hear her call out and I smile, getting up and peeking around the corner to see her standing by the door, kicking her shoes off.

"Yes, love?" I ask, coming out from around the corner.

She has tears in her eyes and she looks genuinely sad. Who the fuck hurt my love? "What happened, Shai?" I ask, walking toward her and pulling her into a hug.

She sighs and looks up at me, "You're-you're gong to be mad at me," she says, cowering into my chest.

"I promise I won't be mad at you," I say, rubbing her back softly with my hands.

"I-I didn't go out on a girls night," she says softly, wrapping her arms around my waist.

I look down at her, "What-Shai why would I be mad about that? Where did you go?" I ask.

She looks up at me, her beautiful hazel eyes filled with tears, "I went to the doctor's office with Zoë," she says, clinging to me.

"Why'd you go to the doctor's? Did she have an appointment?"

"No, I did," she says softly.

I pull away slightly, obviously confused, "Why did you have an appointment?" I ask.

A single tear rolls down her cheek as she speaks again, "Theo, think about it, what have I been having for the past few weeks?" She asks.

I furrow my eyebrows trying to think, "You, uh, oh! You had the stomach bug and were throwing up," I say, "but that just means you have the flu or whatever, right?" I say.

She sighs, "Theo, I haven't had my period in almost two months, and I've been having stomach cramps," she says, looking at me.

"So... Does that have something to do with birth control? Because I read somewhere that it affects the menstrual cycle of females and can cause cramps," I say.