Chapter 11: Newer Begginings

I'm baaaacckk. Enjoy.

-------

"So the fish expedition didn't work out. No big. We'll just have to figure out some other way to get Justin to fall for you. It's like Cupid always says," I swallowed hard, not quite believing the words about to come out of my mouth, "'Love is always in the air.'"

Carina looked at me skeptically. "God, if you're quoting Cupid we must be in more trouble than I thought."

It was the morning after the fish fiasco and the topic had been avoided up until now. We were stationed in Carina's room, me at the desk, and her sprawled pathetically on her bed. I didn't know how long Carina had been planning for this to continue, but I was on a schedule. I had to get these two together before Antevorte was taken off her suspension or whatever it was called.

"Alright, well we were a little unprepared for that yesterday, maybe if you had told me in advance that you couldn't talk, instead of waiting for me to bail on you, it would've worked out better. But carpe diem."

"I think you mean 'que sera.'" Carina corrected.

I shrugged. "Tomato, tamata. It's all French anyway isn't it?"

Carina let out a huge sigh and glanced heavenward. "I'm going to pretend I didn't just hear that."

"Anyway," I talked over her, grabbing a pad of paper. "It's back to the drawing board. Now that we know that I absolutely have to be the one that Justin falls in love with, we have to brainstorm ideas."

Carina nodded, sitting up and found another notebook. "You need to become me. We'll have to get you contacts, and you'll have to wear my clothes of course. I'll make a list of all my activities and favorite hobbies." She started drawing a chart.

My eyes glazed over and I yawned. "While you do that, I'm going to go find something more exciting to do. Like find Justin."

Carina didnt look up and I got out of there before she realized I had been talking to her. It was time to get the old Celeste mojo back.

------------------

I walked down Main Street a few minutes later. People were strolling happily down the street, laughing and talking. A couple walking towards me caught my eye. I did a 180 and followed them down the street. They were licking ice cream cones and holding hands. It seemed so natural for them, they didn't have to impress each other. The girl pointed at something in a shop window and I saw the way her boyfriend looked at her. They were in love. It was raw and powerful. And they took it for granted.

I turned away, confused by these thoughts. My entire life I've hated love because of my parents. But if I had just stepped back and looked at what love really was, it was magic. Not the kind of magic I could do. It was the simple need of being with another person, who made you happy. Without it, sadness would reign.

I stopped. If sadness was the opposite of happiness, and love brought happiness, what did that make me? I was the cause of sadness. I brought despair and pain into the lives of everyone I broke apart. I had to stop.

I continued walking, looking at the stores but not seeing them. I'd start over, I decided, I would start getting couples together instead of tearing them apart.

My eyes caught a shock of black hair. Under which was a very familiar face. Greek Collin.

"I'm starting over," I whispered to myself, "And I'll start with you and Carina."

--------

Sorry it's short. But at least it's something...? Ack. Sorry again.