Chapter 12: The party pooper

I've never had so much fun. Especially with girls. It's usually talking about clothes, mushy feelings (Though, I don't really mind that one), romance movies and gossip. For all those girls out there, let me give you some advice. Don't drag a guy into your life. Anytime this happens, I can't help but stand up and walk away. Some still continue talking as if they practiced it. That would be pretty weird though.

I won't lie to you, I've gone on several dates. None of them worked out. But Jennifer, over here, is different. For starters, she prefers action to talking. My motto. We weren't in the mood to dance. So, we played several of the games: Beer pong, spin the bottle, truth or dare, and some other games I couldn't recognize. We won all but one... Beer chug. Fat Nick was, hands down, the champion.

We took some snacks before we hit the dance floor again. This time, we saw Hank and Abby.

"How's it going?" I asked Hank who jumped out of fear to see me at the party... with a date.

"Jennifer? Mike? I did NOT see that coming", Hank said in surprise.

Abby punched Hank's arm for rendering such comment.

"Ow! Hey! I was being Frank", Hank retorted

"But they're so good together!" Abby argued.

As Hank and Abby were having this heated argument about how cute we were together, Jennifer and I furtively slipped away trying to avoid getting sucked up in the heated controversy.

We went to the third floor dodging some guys on the way. I grabbed Jennifer's hand leading her through the crowd until I opened the door to the balcony. Luckily, nobody was around to disturb us, so we could actually stay and talk. We started laughing as we approached the veranda leaning on the barricade. The moon lighting up the cold dark sky. For some reason, the air was filled with the natural smell of... ashtrays? No, that can't be it. Oh! Cotton candy. My favorite. The wind passing through Jennifer's hair and sharing the intoxicating fragrance of her hair.

"Did you see the look on Hank's face?" I reminded her still laughing hard.

"It was priceless", she giggled remembering the encounter.

"They were so confused", I added.

We laughed for a while until the joke died out, which was pretty quick if you ask me. We fell silent not able to look at the other. At that point, I had to break the ice.

"So, Jennifer, tell me about yourself", I started.

"Errm... Can't really tell you that", she answered.

"I dunno", she replied sharply.

Why was she acting so oblivious?? Did my breath smell? I don't think it was that. I took a lot of fruit punch, so I don't see how my breath would be acidic. I had to at least try.

"So, Jennifer, you've never told me what you can do", I said.

She gave me a look that said I was trying to hard.

She sighed.

"I had some abilities when I was younger but I lost them. Somebody took them. I was still considered a Nexus though, so they took me in", she explained.

"The only special ability I have right now is the ability to sense danger".

"Like spiderman?" I asked.

"You can say that", she smirked at the thought staring at the glowing silver moon.

"But how did you-"

"I don't want to talk about it. Not now at least", she cut me short.

I've never seen her look so hurt and distant. The Jennifer I usually saw was easygoing and friendly. It was as if her past was haunting her and bringing back bad memories. I felt kind of bad about bringing up the topic. As I was about to apologize, the strangest thing happened. Her eyes were glowing white and she was frozen solid.