Chapter 14: A quick stop for info

The next morning at around 5:00am, I put my jacket, joggers and sneakers and went for a stroll to get the funeral of my mind. It was futile. I started to think. "So Ted's gone. Just like that. What was he talking about when he said show them that they're wrong? Let's keep that aside for now. How will I complete my training without my training instructor, mentor and friend, oh my God I'm gonna start tearing." I remembered what Ted's mum told me. "When a hero falls, another will rise".

As I reached the academy's central park, a thought came to mind.

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

Nobody answered. Then after a few seconds, the door opened with a very fatigued Alicia standing at the front. "Mike, what are you doing here so freaking early?" she moaned as she rubbed her eyes.

"I'm surprised you haven't read my mind yet. Well, aren't you gonna let me in?" I asked batting my eyes.

She gawked at me blankly for a few seconds.

"Oh sorry, come on in," she said bluntly motioning me to enter.

Alicia's room wasn't really a room. It was more like an underground government laboratory since the blinds were sealed with platinum folds. Don't ask me where she got it.

The room was filled with junkies, gizmos, circuit boards, incomplete androids and a half sipped cup of cappuccino. Her bed was ... I didn't see any bed which was very odd. "Sorry about the mess. I don't really have visitors", she apologized.

"You don't say", I muttered.

"Pardon?" she retorted not believing what she heard.

"Um... nothing!" I quickly replied.

Her room seemed to be bigger than the other hero trainees. We entered her main parlour and she made me a cup of hot chocolate with some cookies. I was surprised she even knew how to bake.

"So, I know that you didn't come to help me on my research. What do you want?" she asked crossing her legs. "Ah, there's a reason you're the smart one", I said.

"I need some information and who better to get it from than you?" I told her. Her hair was as wild as Einstein's hair and her eyes were very heavy from excess work.

"Well what is it?" she asked.

"I need you to look up everything about Gustav Patrov". I told her.

Alicia sighed.

"I can't. Not that I don't want to, I've tried. I couldn't find anything on him".

I was let down and just as I was about to stand up, she burst into laughter. "I'm kidding! You fell for that one. Do you really think a series of firewalls and algorithms could stop me?" Hold on a sec. I'll be right back". Two minutes later, she gave me a folder that had the stamp "CONFIDENTIAL" across the papers.

Alicia told me all about him. "He was a Nexus and surprisingly graduated in the class of 1987 from Hunning's Academy. He was one of the best heroes of his time until one tragic accident that erased most of his unique genetic coding leaving him with a parasitic ability of pilfer other Nexus' abilities. He became excessively addicted to pilfering other Nexus' abilities which led to his incessant rampage. The academy's agents have been trying to stop him in his tracks but he has become too powerful and has outsmarted them for the past decade. Over the years, he has assembled a league of Nexus to help him do most of his dirty work. They call them the, well this is cliché, Anti-Nexus. They've been ambushing, torturing and terrorizing many Nexus. I assume they had a role to play in the recent slaughtering of the new recruits. "That explains the monster that Ted and I defeat..." I cut myself short trying not to bring up Ted.

I looked at the mall clock and it was past seven.

Time really flew by as I was reading the file. When I looked up, Alicia had already dressed up, tidied her messed up hair and applied her makeup. She grabbed her books and was about to leave when she paused and looked back at me.

"You know you have classes right?" She told me.

"Right", I told her still looking at the documents.

"Well, when you're ready okay?"

"Yeah", I said as my voice shrunk.

The door shut.

Gustav knew what he was doing. He set it all up. I bet he still had a few tricks up his sleeve. This wasn't going to stop me from averaging Ted. I stood up and walked out the door not forgetting to help Alicia lock up and I jogged back to my apartment.

***************************************************************************************************

Hey guys! Ya missed me? It's been a while hasn't it. Came home a few days ago to take a break from my exams. It's been a long month and I'm finally almost done. Next up, Prom... I hope.

How did you like see chapter? It was quite short right? I was hurrying up a bit. I think I'll try and make my chapters shorter though. I feel shorter chapters are easier to read. What do you think?

Please remember to leave a comment, share, and vote.

Once again, I missed you guys and I can't wait to write the next chapter.

SimiKareem.