Chapter 22

The training session flies past quickly. Daisy manages to master every weapon she touches within two or three goes. The careers glare on in spite and I see Ditty holding a spear and eyeing Daisy who is trying out daggers, but I see her an she puts it down and moves onto the edible food station with the other careers. I watch her a little more then I turn around and walk back over to Daisy and Bonnie. I pick up a dagger and throw it aimlessly. To my astonishment, it hits the very center. I stare in astonishment. Bonnie pats me on the back but Daisy just shrugs and keeps on throwing. I smile. To her, a bullseye isn't a big deal. She runs out of daggers so we go collect them and move onto another station.

Daisy manages to start a fire with a few sticks and a rock and then she passes the edible foods test quickly. Max must have gotten some trainers from the Capitol as well, because their is one at every station.

All of a sudden it's lunchtime and I sit next to Harriet and Percy so I can clear something up.

"Are you guys in our alliance?" I say.

"Yes." Harriet says, while at the same time, Percy looks hesitant. Harriet notices.

"Don't you want to Percy?" I say, slightly hurt.

"No, I do, it's just..." He trails off and looks around him. He sees max over crooning over the potato salad and leans in close whispering.

"Don't you think that's what he wants?" He sees our puzzled faces and sighs. "If we team up, he can kill us all in one go. If we split up, we're harder targets."

Reality dawns on me and I realize he means for us to all split up.

"We'd still not-kill each other and all, and if we ever met in the arena, of course we'd stay together and all, but it's best interests that we split up."

"That makes sense. Just who with who?" I whisper. He pauses for a second as if thinking.

"You and me, Harriet, Bonnie and Daisy."

"What!? No! I'm not leaving Bonnie!"

"You have to. He wants to kill you and Bonnie most. It's best if you're separated."

I sigh and think for a minute.

"Alright, but Daisy comes with us as well." I say.

He hesitates.

"Alright. Is that alright with you Harriet?"

She nods.

"Good, lets go tell bonnie."

~~~

The rest of the day passes quickly and the next thing I know, we're stepping into the tribute room again at about 6:00. Daisy skips over to her sleeping bag and lies down immediately, an starts playing with her hair clip. I'm about to go over and talk to her when a hand clamps onto my shoulder. I look up to see Crunch looming over me.

"Max wants you." He grunts in a rough voice. He spins me round and pushes me towards the weapon room. I go in an the door seals behind me, locking me in and making the voices of the other tributes diminished. I see Max sitting in the selection room so I cautiously walk inside. The chair spins around to reveal him, and I half expect to see him holding an axe and an evil grin, but its just plain old Max. He smiles and stands up.

"Primrose. I need to ask you a question. Would you rather,

Stay down here with the other tributes and I wouldn't feed them, or go back up there and be a good little girl."

I realize what he's doing. His making me choose between me staying down here and watching the others starve or me going back up to the mansion. I sigh. There wasn't a choice really.

"I'll go back up to the mansion." I say. His smile widens.

"I thought so. Up you go then!"

Suddenly, he pushes me at the wall but instead of my face slamming into the stone, it slides open to reveal a tiny space, just big enough for one person. He pushes me in and I quickly turn around, but the rock wall is already closing behind me. He gives me an evil smile and a wave and then he's gone, leaving only a rock wall. I scream and shout, banging on the tiny walls, but my voice just echoes back and forth, hurting my ears. Then my claustrophobia kicks in and the walls seem to close around me. I feel trapped and the air around me is starting to get thick, when suddenly, the rock moves. No, I move. I'm going up. I'm going towards the ceiling. I'm going to be squashed!

_____________

Don't you love a cliffy?

There you go. I'm sorry I've been rushing a little lately but I just really want to get up to these games. I'll try slow down a little!

Sincerely,

Xela732