Chapter Twenty

Mr. Mellark is the only one in the room. Peeta’s older brother is in college and probably can’t just leave to see him and his younger brother might not even know. Mr. Mellark and Peeta seem to be talking so at least I know he is awake. Mr. Mellark also looks like he has been crying. I walk in slowly. They can’t see me though because of the wall blocking me so I listen in.
“Where is mom?” Peeta asks.
“She is at the shop. Pretty busy today I guess.” His dad says.
Bull crap. She is probably having some kind of feast with Cato and Clove. I think.
“Whatever. When your son gets stabbed you close up and make your way to the hospital. Where is Jacob? He could always be here.” He says.
“He is at home. He had homework.” His dad says.
“Of course.” Peeta says. He sounds mad and upset. No one but his dad came to see him after he got stabbed. I decide to stop their conversation.
“Hello?” I say and they both look at me. Peeta looks happy to see me and I smile.
“Hey.” He says and then looks at his dad. “Um, dad? Could you give us a minute?” Peeta asks.
“Of course.” Mr. Mellark says standing up and walking past me. I walk over and stand by him. He takes my hand but neither of us says anything. Surely he knows what I heard right? Or does he think that I just walked up when I saw him getting hurt. Maybe that’s why he smiled so much when I said I loved him over the phone. I have to know. I sit in the chair his father was in but I don’t let go of his hand. I have to talk fast because the others are probably close.
“Peeta, you don’t have to worry about me getting hurt by them. The have to be in prison at least for a while. They can’t get away from stabbing and tazzing you.” I say. He watches me.
“And cutting you.” He says. He releases my hold on his hand and lightly touches my forehead. That’s when I feel it’s bare and the gauze has come off. He touches the cut so gently.
“Well, no one has found blood poisoning in my wound.” I mumble. He smiles.
“And they are taking care of it. I already got some medicine for it.” He says. He puts his hand back on the bed.
“Peeta, you really don’t have to worry about them hurting me.” I say. Just before he can answer, the others walk in.
“Peeta!” Finnick yells in a high pitched voice.
“Finnick! You came!” Peeta yells back mocking him. Finnick runs to his bed and wraps his arms around Peeta. Annie and Joanna are busting up and I allow myself to smile even though they ruined a very serious time. At least it is Friday and Monday is Memorial Day so we get a long weekend. I don’t think I will leave the hospital. Well, maybe to shower. For the next hour, we sit around and just talk. We try to stay off the topic about the stabbing as much as possible. We have some good laughs and we defiantly have some inside jokes now. Finnick was talking about when he was mowing the lawn at his house. He said he was going in a straight circle. We all started laughing at him but he was confused. It took us 5 minutes to explain to him what he just said, and then he laughed at himself. (This actually happened with my older brother! Hahaha!) So now when any of us say something stupid, we yell “Straight Circle!” at them. My group of friends couldn’t be better. Peeta gets a few guests, but his mother is not among them. Mr. Mellark left to go home and shower, but then he called Peeta and said he was staying home tonight. Peeta looked upset, but let it quickly leave his face. After a while, all of his guests left. Finnick, Annie, and Joanna were about to leave, when they turned to me.
“Katniss, are you coming?” They asked.
“No. I will find a way home.” I say.
“How?” Peeta asks.
“My mother. If the car starts.” I say smiling. “Or I will cut through the woods.”
“No, it’s too dangerous Katniss.” He says.
“I will be fine. I have done it a million times.” I say even though I don’t plan on leaving anyway. He bites his lip. I look back at Finnick.
“I’ll be fine, just go.” I say.
“Okay, but if you need a ride home tonight just call someone.” He says. I nod. When the door closes I look at Peeta.
“I’m not leaving tonight, you know that right?” I say. He laughs.
“Well, I do now. And it makes me feel better.” He says.
“I will be right back; I need to call my mom and sister. Let them know where I am.” I say standing up. He only nods as I walk out of the room. I pull out my phone and dial the number. It rings twice.
“Hello?” Prim says.
“Prim? It’s Katniss.” I say.
“Oh my gosh! Katniss, where are you? You haven’t come home yet!” She says and then I hear some commotion. Then, my mother is on the phone.
“Where the hell are you?” She says.
“Mom, I’m at the hospital seeing Peeta. He isn’t in the best shape and none of his family is here. Can I stay here with him?” I ask.
“Katniss, no.” She says.
“Mom, no one will be up here with him.” I say.
“Katniss, no. Not tonight. I want to look at your cut. Tomorrow night.” She says.
“Fine. Bye.” I say. I don’t hear what she says after because I hang up. I walk back to Peeta’s room to find he has another visitor. Two visitors actually. Marvel and Glimmer.