Chapter Four

I sit in my chair at home, rocking gently. He loves me? How could he love me? He is so nice and sweet and perfect and I’m me. It wasn’t awkward after that. What was awkward was that Gale came in right after he told me. Gale looked mad and Peeta dropped his hands. I left mine on his cheeks, still looking in to his eyes. I didn’t want to drop them. He looked at me and grabbed me hands. If Gale wasn’t there I might have kissed him. But Peeta removed my hands from his cheeks and looked at his shoes again. I kept trying to get his eye contact with him once more, ignoring Gale. Peeta probably felt like he was in the way. Gale told me it was 5 and that detention was over. I bet he stood outside that door the whole time just waiting to bust in. We walked out after that and Gale walked me home. In silence. I felt really bad for Gale, but worse for Peeta. He didn’t get a chance to hear my response. What would my response have been anyway? Peeta has been there for me longer than Gale has. But Gale is perfect for me. Isn’t he? I mean, we don’t talk so much. He usually just wants to kiss. Sometimes he tries to go further than kissing and I get mad at him. I don’t talk to him for like a week. And then he comes back with some apology that would sound so sweet I easily forgive him. But he isn’t as sweet as Peeta. Peeta is always there to help me and I can always talk to him. What if Peeta is better than Gale? I imagine getting married to Gale. Almost no talking at all. Just a lot of physical contact. Being forced in to it too. Then, I imagine a life with Peeta. Laughs and smiles and gentle kisses. I can imagine snuggling up next to him and talking all night long, never running out of things to say because best friends never stop talking. Plus he is a great cook. I’m just really confused. Why do I have to be in this position? Just then, Prim walks in the living room.
“Hey Katniss.” She says walking over to me.
“Hey little duck.” I say. That’s my nickname for her. She likes it.
“What’s wrong?” She asks me. My expression must have given me away.
“Nothing, just thinking.” I say.
“About what?” She asks sitting on the little stool in front of me.
“Well, you know how me and Gale have been dating for a while now?” I ask her and she nods.
“Yeah, it’s been almost a year hasn’t it?” She asks.
“Yes. Well, I got a detention today. Me and Peeta did. You know Peeta right? We got in some trouble in science; I’m not going to get into detail. But when I was at my locker at the end of the day, Peeta came over so we could go to the detention room. Gale came to say good bye before he went to pick you up and-” I say but Prim interrupts.
“Gale never picked me up from school.” She says.
“What? He told me he would pick you up.” I say.
“No one picked me up. I waited for you but you never came. When everyone was gone, I just walked home.” She says.
“So, he lied to me.” I whisper. Why would he lie to me? I remember him opening the door right when Peeta told me he loved me, but it was also the end of detention. I thought maybe he took her home and then came back to walk me home. I guess I was wrong.
“I’m okay though, just continue with your story.” Prim says so I do.
“Well, he kissed me right in front of Peeta and I got mad at him. I told him goodbye and me and Peeta walked to the detention room. Not before Gale could give him a rude look. Peeta told me though, that he knew me and Gale were dating, that it just still hurt. He wouldn’t tell me what he meant at the moment. But later in the detention room, he told me he loves me.” I finish.
“Well do you love him?” Prim asks.
“That’s what I’m trying to figure out. Of course I love him, and Gale, I’m just trying to decide how I love them.” I say.
“Who do you think you would be happier with?” She asks.
“Well, I was just thinking about that. I think…” I say trailing off.
“Who do you think?” She asks.
“I… I think… Peeta.” I whisper.
“Well, I think you need to tell him that Katniss.” Prim says. Peeta and me, I can imagine it. If he really loves me, maybe we could make it work.
“I think you’re right Prim.” I say. And she smiles.