Chapter Two

The rest of the day drug on. I have detention after school and the day seems to be going to slow. I was supposed to go to the middle school and get Prim, but I’m not sure that’s going to happen now. When 10th period comes around, I’m relieved. This is my only class with Gale. I hate history, but he makes it better. I’m still a bit upset about the detention, but I should have known not to play around in such a strict teacher’s class. But I did, and now I’m paying for it. I just hope Peeta won’t get in trouble though. By his mom of course. I could see his father giving him a talk about it, but his mom might pull out a gun or something. I feel like he should just leave, but he feels like he needs to help her. I don’t understand it and I don’t think I ever will. I walk into class and I sit down in the desk next to Gale. He smiles at me and says hi, but I just barely nod.
“What’s wrong?” He asks.
“I just… can’t pick Prim up after school today. And I don’t want her to walk home by herself. I’m afraid she will get lost or something.” I say.
“I can pick her up. Why can’t you though?” He asks.
 “Mr. Semple gave me a detention.” I say.
“For what?” He asks. I can’t decide if I should tell him or not. He might think there is something going on between me and Peeta if I tell him, but I can’t just think of an excuse right off the top of my head. I am going to have to tell him the truth. Maybe I can make it not sound like I like Peeta. But I do like Peeta. Just not how Gale will take it.
“Well, when I got into science this morning, our teacher wasn’t there of course. He is always late. But Peeta Mellark, you know him right?” I ask. He nods. By the look on his face I do not like where this is going.
“Well, we sit at the same desk together and he was actually sitting on the desk. I went to put my stuff down and he was in the way. So I jokingly pushed him but he ended up falling off the table. Of course I went to make sure he was alright and I went to help him up, but he pulled me down onto him.” I say.
“Wait, ONTO him?” Gale asks. I bite my lip, but I nod. Gale doesn’t look happy. “Go on.” He says.
“Well, I told him I would get him back so when he went to sit down, I moved his chair. He fell on the ground and Mr. Semple asked him why he was on the ground and the way Peeta answered him, he thought Peeta was talking back. So he gave Peeta a detention. I felt bad and I spoke up trying to explain that it was my fault and try to get Peeta’s taken away, but he ended up giving me one too. And I have to serve it with Peeta after school today. That’s why I can’t pick up Prim.” I say quickly. Gale looks at me. I think he is mad. Oh please don’t be mad. He just nods and turns toward the front of the room because the teacher walked in. I don’t even pay attention to class, I just watch Gale. He has a way of making his face look rock hard. I can’t see any emotions. I watch him the entire class. Before I know it, the bell rings. I grab my things and I walk to my locker. Someone comes up and stands beside me.
“Hey detention buddy.” Peeta says. I laugh.
“You sure are happy for having your first detention.” I say back.
“Well, I’m sure my mom won’t be happy about it. If she asks where I was after school, can I just tell her I was hanging out with you?” He asks.
“Of course. And if my mother asks, I will say I was hanging out with-” I start to say but I’m cut off by someone behind me.
“With who Katniss?” He asks and I turn to see Gale.
“Hey, I didn’t see you there.” I say laughing. It’s a nervous laugh.
“Well, I’m going to pick up Prim now. I just wanted to say goodbye.” Gale says.
“Oh yeah. Thank you so much.” I say. Then, Gale grabs my face in his hands, leans over, and kisses me. Gale stop! I think and I look over at Peeta who has suddenly become interested with his shoes. I pull away and I give him a look.
“See you later.” I say not very nice. I walk back to my locker and close it. I pull my pink slip out of my pocket and stand by Peeta.
“Ready?” I ask. Peeta looks up from his shoes and smiles.
“Bye Katniss.” Gale says. I turn around to see him giving Peeta a rude look. Peeta doesn’t seem to notice. Gale turns and jogs down the hallway.
“I’m really sorry about that.” I say to Peeta.
“You have nothing to be sorry for. I know you two are dating. It just still hurts.” Peeta says.
“What still hurts?” I ask.
“What, oh, I said that? Nothing” He says.
“No, tell me.” I say.
“It’s nothing. But we need to go. 2 hours of fun awaits us.” He says. I smile. We walk down to our science room.