The One When We Met

Up to now I can still remember the day that we met... Freshmen year of highschool.

December 20, 2012

It's easy to remember because partly, the next day is the "end" of the world, but mostly.... because I've always wanted to meet you.

It's been a year since I came here in California, I stayed for a month or two in my aunt's house before we moved out. We ended up moving into a house right in front of your house and since then you're all my parents can talk about.

"Filipino pala yung nakatira diyan sa tapat natin, binati ako kanina."

"Mabait yun babae sa tapat natin. Ka-edad mo lang ata yun."

"Nakakasabay mo sa bus yun, kaibiganin mo kaya."

That's all I can hear whenever my parents sees you, so I got curious about you. I've seen you since eight grade, but I never had the chance to talk to you, because you're always with your friends. I thought you are like them, I thought you are maarte that's why I didn't bother to talk to you.

But then on December 20, 2012 I met you... and I can still remember it vividly...

It was the 2nd to the last day of finals week and I was so drained. First finals I ever had for my freshmen year.

I'm sitting on the bus, waiting for some middle school-er before we go. I have my earphones on like I always do and slowly the bus filled in.

And then you came, you looked for seat but almost every seat is occupied and you don't know usually sit at the very back of the bus. I was in front and I just act like I didn't see you, but I was hoping you would sit next to me.

"Can I sit here?" You asked, smiling.

"Yeah." I answered and scoot over, putting my bag on my lap.

It's been 2 minutes and the bus hasn't left yet and here I am contemplating whether I should talk to you.

"Uhmmm. Ano ginawa niyong finals for PE?" I asked.

"Acosta din teacher mo?"

"Yeah." I said, I know we have the same teacher cause one of my friends is in your period.

"Oh. Uhm, nag-mile lang kami." You answered.

"Ah, thank you. Period 1 ka diba?"

"Oo, ikaw ba?"

"Period 2." I said and mentioned the name of my friend who's in your class.

"Ah, oo. Kilala ko siya. Intimidating nga niya eh." You answered and chuckled.

"Mabait yun. Haha. Mahiyain lang." I said and we started talking.

We're almost home, we're so occupied of our talks that we didn't notice that we are on our stop already. We talked about our life back in PH, when we left PH, where we live. Everything.

"Ano nga pala pangalan mo?" I asked.

"Dennise." You answered, smiling at me, "Ikaw ba?"

"Alyssa." I answered and smiled.

We talked more until we arrived outside of our houses.

"Sige. I'll see you tomorrow. Thank you ulit ah." I said.

"No problem. It was nice meeting you."

"Nice meeting you din."

I went inside our house and I can't help but smile as I remember the bus ride.

--

The next morning, we are on our way to school. I'm sitting by myself in the bus listening to music, when your friend caught my attention.

"Kuha ka daw isa lang." She said and gave me a box of cookies.

I looked up and saw you smiling at me, I smiled back and grabbed a cookie.

"Thank you." I said and you smiled at me.

It was the best cookie I ever had.