Chapter 1 - The Fall

Erin's POV

"Erin, on the count of three, you have to run." Logan declared quietly as the moans of the monsters behind us got louder. I was shaking with fear as tears threatened to spill in my eyes.

"Promise you'll be behind me, Logan. Don't let me leave your sight." I choked with heavy breath staring into my elder brother eyes. I could see he was trying to be strong for me but looking closely, I could see how terrified he really was. The moon reflecting of the sweat that dripped off his forehead from running so much.

"Erin. Listen. Stay in front of me. I love you sis," He vowed. I nodded and let a tear spill before he pulled me in and hugged me tightly. It couldn't last though, not in this world. "Come on, we gotta go." He informed me slowly standing up taking my hand. The building we were behind could only protect us for so long as the monsters ambled closer. My mind being overtaken by panic and distress, Logan's words echoing in my head "You have to run." "I love you sis..." The only thing reminding me I had to stayed focused was the cool night air that stung my dry throat with each breath I took.

"1..." Logan started counting. Both standing in the corner of the alley behind the department store. The main road filling up with the undead. We had to go and fast otherwise we wouldn't be able to run. "2..." He carried on, pushing me in front of him. I peered my head around the corner. The main street was long and wide. It was gonna be a straight run until we reached the end, at least a 100... 200 meter sprint, maybe more. "3!" He whisper yelled and pushed me forward into the road, the herd only feet behind us.

Logan's grip never loosened from my hand, he pushed me forwards, forcing me to continue to run. I kept turning back to check on him but it was slowing both of us down. "Erin! Don't look behind, just keep running!" He screamed. I could tell he was serious, deadly serious. Tears streaming down my cheeks, making it difficult to tell where I was going but I just kept going forwards, desperate to escape the herd. "Erin! Let go! Keep running!" Logan ordered me and let go of my hand. I gripped into his for a second before releasing, immediately noticing how much faster I could run. I wanted to see where Logan was but daren't look behind me, dreading what my eyes might meet.

"Erin! Quick go left!"Exclaimed Logan. Phew, he was still alive. I did as he said and turned left at the end of the street! Dammit, wrong way! At the end of this street was a large chain link fence. I tried to turn back... Too late. The monsters had already turned the corner and followed us. There was no turning back.

"I said don't look back! Erin keep running!" Logan yelled hysterically and I did as he said. Then, the sound of gunshots filled my ears. Gunshot? Neither Logan or I had guns this was someone else, or maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me. Either way I just kept running.

"Erin! Quick in here!" I felt Logan's hand on my back as he pushed me to a door. We entered what looked like a jewelry shop. I quickly skidded along the floor but the door was still open behind me. Natural instinct came over me as I scrambled up, shutting it then locking it. What, where was Logan!? I went to open the door only for the moment I unlocked it, the monsters pushed against it, forcing me to lock it again. I panicked and began running around. The undead knocking the door loudly, again and again, their snarling the solitary noise.

"Logan!" I screamed at the top of my lungs over the sound of the monsters. There was no reply. I continued to run around the small shop in hope of seeing my brother but he was no where to be found. My tears ruining my vision. "Logan!" I yelled again. Please no, my brother can't be dead! I fell down, tripping over my own feet and grabbed the nearest thing to me. Just so happened to be a manikin that toppled over with me. I couldn't move for a minute. I just screamed hoping someone would hear me. Then the gun shots started again, coming from outside, bringing me back to reality for a second. I saw the door begin to break in and rotting hands reach through the seem. The gunshots continued to ring through the town. Who ever was shooting them needed to stop, it would only attract more. Hell, why do I even care? My whole family is dead, I might as well be too. I walked over to the door, ready to accept my so awaited fate and join my deceased family and friends...