Chapter 13 - You'd Be Dead

Logan's POV
I could hear people talking from the truck in front of us. It sounded as if there were a lot of people in the one truck with just the three of us in the back one. I had so many questions but didn't know where to begin so just said gasping for air, keeping an eye on the 2 women.
We drove silently for most the while. Staring out of the window, I tried to remember every and turn we went down but it was no good, I had no idea where we were going or even how to get back now.
"Where are we going?" I asked shakily and gulped, my one hand still on the lever to open the car door, like I couldn't bring my hand away from it.
"Back to camp," Said the woman in the front. "I'm Lily by the way, we're sisters." She gestured to Tara. Looking closely, I could now see the resemblance they had of each other in their faces.
"I need to get back to the prison! Erin's..." I began to panic before Tara interrupted.
"Wait, a prison?" She looked at me and furrowed her brow, I could see Lily's concerned face in the rear view mirror as well. I nodded. Tara bit her lip and looked to her sister who shrugged and just kept driving. This really confused me but I shook it off. My main priority right now was surviving. I tried to reassure myself that Carl had got Erin back to the prison safely but there was always that little voice in my head, telling me she was dead. Maybe Carl sacrificed her to save himself. Boy he better pray if anything has happened to her.

It must've been around a half an hour drive though to me, it seemed to take hours. My heart still raced a million miles a minute and I couldn't control anything. We eventually stopped, making me nearly hit my head on the seat infront. I watched as people poured from the front vehicle and onto a grassy fields with trees dotted around and cars and caravans all over the place.
"Now kid, you're lucky we saved you back there. If not, you'd probably either still be up there or dead. Now, we don't want any trouble okay? You're just gonna have to speak to our leader then you can have your own tent, whatever you need. Just don't make us regret not leaving you back there." Lily said sternly. I agreed with a nod then heard a click as the car doors became unlocked. All 3 of us got out and they led me into camp.
"Mom!" A little girl shouted maybe 9 or 10, ran up to Lily. Lily scooped her up in her arms and hugged her. Once she was pit down the smile was immediately wiped away once she lay eyes on me. She held her mom's hand and cowered back.
"Meghan this is Logan," Tara introduced. Lily kept staring until a broad man with deep brown hair and an eye patch walked over.
"Brian!" Meghan shouted and she ran to him and hugged his legs. I would've assumed it could have been her dad but I guess not as she called him Brain which I assumed was his name. He hugged Meghan then made his way over to Tara, Lily and I.
"Brian, this is Logan." Said Lily as Brian stuck out his hand for me to shake and I did so.
"Nice to meet you Logan. I'm Brian. I sorta run this place and I'm sure we'd be delighted to consider you as one of our camp members," Brain smiled. He then led me to a small caravan. It had beds, sink, cupboards filled with food - a practical living space.
"Take what you please," Brain offered gesturing to a bag that lay of the ground. I went into it and picked out a bottle of water and some kind of snack bar then sat at a small table opposite Brian.
"Thankyou," I mumbled, sipping from the bottle.
"Welcome. So Logan, how the heck did you manage to get yourself up that tree?" Brian chucked slightly.
I told him the whole story. Starting from I was in the woods with my sister and a friend, we heard the noises, climbed a tree and so on up until the gun fire.
"Consider yourself lucky then. If we hadn't have come. You'd definitely have been dead. Whether that have been today, tomorrow or in a week. You'd be dead." He said harshly which to be honest, sort of scared me. How could he be so sure I would be dead?