My old self is surfacing

Niall’s P.O.V.

 “No no. That’s the formula for parallelograms. This is a trapezoid, remember?” I took Amber’s mechanical pencil and erased some numbers she wrote down.

“Ughh! I hate math!” Amber dropped her head in her hands.

“No you don’t. C’mer. Like this, okay? Pay attention closely.” I took a deep breath and tried being as calm as possible. What had my counselor told me? Deep breath. Count to ten. Deep breath. Speak. Amber lifted her head but placed it on the table, examining my work carefully.

Suddenly, right in the middle of my speech explain the difference of the area of certain shapes, she gasped. Loudly.

“Your hand! It looks horrible!” Amber picked up my left hand and it sent sparks through my body.

“Yeah…whatever. Your brother has a...strong face.”

“What about me?” We turned and saw Liam in sweats and shirtless, searching the refrigerator.

“You’re tough to beat up. Evidently.” I lifted my left hand, which was covered in bruises and cuts. It did look pretty bad.

“Don’t talk about my sister like that.” Liam spoke and seemed to realize for the first time that Niall and I were together. Without screaming out heads off...and ready to bite each other.

“Umm…” He said with a speechless look on his face. Amber sighed and explained to Liam that I wanted to help her with her homework.

“Don’t read too much into it, Payne.” I said.

“Then don’t give me anything to read too much into.”

“Like this?”

“Exactly! What the **** does this mean, hmm? You suddenly coming over and helping my sister with her homework? You pay someone to do your homework. Why would you even think about helping her with hers?”

“Woah….really Niall? That’s low. And Liam, you told mom you’d stop cussing.” Amber glared at her older brother.

Liam mumbled another cuss word and told her she was right.

“Shut it, Liam. I just wanted to help her because I had nothing else to do. And I wanted to tick you off.” I glared at Liam.

“Whatever dude. If she ends up pregnant, you’re screwed.”

Amber nearly chocked on her water. She stared at Liam who shrugged at her before turning away.

“Why are you guys still best friends?” Amber asking quietly.

“Honestly, I don’t know…but I know one thing, I’d rather get a hundred black eyes because of him then lose his friendship.” I said, lowering my voice. I didn’t know why I said it, but I did and it shocked me. I shook my head and refused to go back to being the nice guy. That was the old me. The one I gave up when…that happened. But for some reason, Amber brought that out of me.

I wanted to be with her. I felt so…different around her. But I didn’t want to go back to the old me. What was I gonna do?