Not remembering a thing

Bee-beep…Bee-beep.

I opened my eyes slowly. Everything was blurry and I tried to focus. I saw…strangers. A tall, muscular boy in a plaid button up shirt. He was pacing the spotless white room. Two boys were sitting down. One of them had dark brown hair with streaks of blue. His arms were covered in small tattoos and he had in earrings. The other boy had a lighter brown haired quiff he was constantly playing with. His was dressed in what looked like a school sports uniform.

“W-where am I?” I weakly asked. My head throbbed.

“Amber!” Three deep voices overwhelmed me. The three boys rushed over and spat out too many questions.

“Are you okay?”

“You want me to get the nurse?”

“Where does it hurt?”

“You hungry?”

I shook my head, and pressed a hand to it. It hurt like no other.

“Who are you guys?” I asked them, finding my voice again. They all started blankly at me.

“Who are you three boys?” I asked louder.

“Y-You don’t know us?” The one in plaid asked.

The one in the school uniform left the room and came back in a heartbeat with a nurse beside him.

“Hi sweetie. You’re finally awake! I understand you don’t recognize these gentlemen?” The nurse’s voice seemed soothing. As if I’ve heard it all my life. I nodded.

“Let me get the doctor.”

That’s the last thing I remember. I fell back asleep to the sound of hushed worried voices. I woke up again and it was night time. The boy with the blue streaked hair was sitting beside my bed, with his head resting on the rail.

“Hey.” I said. He instantly looked up and smiled. I knew I recognized that smile. I had to. It was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

“Do you know me?” He asked. I shook my head no.

“I can’t remember a thing….Wait.” I looked up at the boy in plaid who just came in.

“L-Liam?” I asked, testing out the name that came to mind.

“Yes yes yes!” He excitedly said.

“You’re my brother I think.” I said. I thought hard about his face. Yes, last thing I remember was him at Thanksgiving dinner. He must’ve been 12. He looked 17 or 18 now.

“Do you know me?” The boy beside me asked. I shook my head again.

“Oh…” Liam said sadly. He placed a hand on the boys shoulder.

“Its okay, bro.” Liam said soothingly.

“I wish mom were here. She was here two days ago though.”

“Mom…” I closed my eyes and thought hard. I got a blurry image and opened my eyes. It hurt too much to concentrate.

“Two days ago? How long was I sleeping?” I asked. I tried sitting myself up but it was too hard. Liam came over and placed his hands under my arms and lifted me up with ease against the pillows.

“You ran into Louis three days ago. Slipped on gravel, got some nasty cuts. Hit your head hard. Doctor says you got a concussion. You can’t remember a thing about 6 years back or so. He says you should regain memory soon. You were brought to the hospital. Slept for two days straight. You woke up earlier today and told us you didn’t know us. The doctor did some more tests and found out about your concussion.” Liam explained slowly and lovingly. I smiled up at him and ran my finger over his arm.