Waking up

I peeled my eyes open and found myself in a hospital bed. The white room was decorated with my favorite people. My brother, Louis, Sam, Ally, Zayn, Harry and…Niall.

The Niall in my dreams. The one I dated. The one I kissed. The one I enjoyed kissing. The one who I thought I loved. The one who loved me back. Niall. Niall who was sweet. Nice. Caring. Loving. Everything I’d wished to turn him back into.

“Amber!” the way Niall said my name made me think I was back in my dreams. He sounded…not himself. I looked more closely at him. His clothes looked like he hadn’t gone home to change for days. He had dark circles under his eyes. His blue eyes drooped like they haven’t been closed for weeks. He looks like, well, crap.

“Hi guys.” I managed to say. The 6 people crowed around my bed, smiling at me. At least I feel better than I did in my dream.

“How long have I been asleep?” I asked, scared of the answer. If it was 3 days…

“A week.” Zayn’s answer caused my eyes to bulge.

“Are you serious?!”

“Well, Niall’s been here for more than half of that.” Harry said, receiving a punch in the ribs by Niall.

“What about my homework?” I asked.

“No worries, I can help you.” Niall’s lips curled under each others, but I could see happiness in his eyes, even if he wasn’t smiling.

I looked around the room and saw gifts from school friends. Teddy bears, cards, flowers, chocolate. Ooh!

“Ooh, can I have that?” I looked up at Liam with pleading eyes as I pointed to a box of chocolates. He laughed, shook his head and handed me the box.

“At least I have my memory.” I mumbled through a raspberry filled chocolate ball.

I looked up at my friends and nearly laughed at the confusion on their faces.

“Never mind. Just a…dream.” I looked at Niall. His gaze was locked on me. As if my dream was coming true, the doctor came in and had Liam, my legal guardian, sign the hospital papers.

“Up we go!” Louis grinned as he lifted me off the bed.

“Lou, I can walk ya know.”

“I wanna carry you. I felt helpless waiting for you to wake up.” Louis lowered his voice as he passed the boys and Ally and went out the room.

“You feeling okay?” Louis stepped into the elevator and looked down at me. I nodded. The elevator made a humming sound and dropped us a couple of levels. It shocked me at first, causing me to tighten my grip on Louis.

“Don’t worry. We’re only going 4 floors.” He said causally is if he’d done this a thousand times.

I nodded. “Right.”

Louis shifted when we stopped to pick up more people.

“Fifth floor?” a young looking doctor looked up from his folder. 

“Third.” Louis shook his head.

“Thanks.” He walked away and left Louis and I still alone in the elevator.

“I was thinking…” Louis’s voice held a mysterious tone. I couldn’t make it out before he started talking again.

“You could probably like, you know, date someone. I mean, to get Niall off your back. He wouldn’t, like, bug you if you had a boyfriend.” Okay. Actually, not okay. He was meaning him. I’ve known him for too long to think otherwise. It was that tone of voice.