Part XIV // Jedi Way

"I'm so happy to know you're alright," Ahsoka said, as Padmé pulled her into a hug, merely two weeks later. Ahsoka had been called back to Coruscant by the Council.

"The pleasure's all mine, Ahsoka. It was wonderful seeing you again and I cannot thank you enough for being with me through these past few months." She pulled away from the hug and held the Togruta girl tightly by the shoulders, a serious look on her face. "If there's anything I can do for you, you know where to find me."

"Of course, Senator." Ahsoka pasted on a fake smile, although the Senator did not notice. Ahsoka knew exactly what favor she was going to ask. "May the Force be with you and your family."

"And may the Force be with you, Ahsoka."

With that, the young Padawan exited the veranda of Padmé's new Naboo apartment and boarded her small starship. Padmé watched keenly as Ahsoka's ship took off, flying out of sight into the peaceful atmosphere of the blue-green planet.

Padmé gasped as Obi-Wan came up behind her, snaking his arms around her small waist.

"They're asleep, thank the Force," he whispered.

Something dripped onto her shoulder and she looked up at him. Upon the tips of his hair, there was the faint whiteness of milk. Another bead was about to drop when she reached up and caught it.

"Did everything go okay back there?" Padmé giggled lightly.

"Leia made a bit of a scene, but everything's as it should be." Obi-Wan gave her a lopsided smile. He then turned to look around the apartment. "Did Ahsoka leave already? I wish I could've said a proper goodbye."

"You know why you couldn't have done that," Padmé reminded him, walking over to sit down upon the couch. "She's already wary of our relationship."

Obi-Wan raised his eyebrows and smiled, pleased she would call it a relationship.

"We can't have Master Yoda learning of it."

He came up to sit behind her, placing his hands on the tops of her arms, and rubbed them soothingly. "No, especially not after seeing what a scandal you and Anakin were considered." He placed a quick kiss on her neck.

Her hands came up to touch his, her arms bending at the elbows.

"I miss him."

He looked down at her soft brown hair. "I know."

She looked up quickly. "Not that I don't-"

He placed a finger on her lips, silencing her.

"I know," was all he said.

She got up, out of his protective hold, and started for the hallway leading to the bedrooms.

"Where-" he began.

She stopped right outside of her bedroom door. "Come here." She smiled coyly and gestured for him to follow her.

Confused, he did as he was told.

The second he got close enough to touch, she slowly wrapped her arms around his shoulders and kissed him slowly but feverishly.

The surprise attack was too much for him to fight. He allowed himself to follow her lead as they tumbled through the threshold and landed on the bed, their shoulders heaving. She kicked the door closed with her left foot, careful not to slam it so as not to wake the sleeping babies in the next room.

Passion lit the flame that linked their hearts as she fumbled with the silk sheets between them. She kicked her house slippers off and he pulled the tunic off his back, dropping it on the floor.

The heated moment drew them closer, drew them away, then closer again until Padmé stopped. She realized that there had been no warning; she wanted what she wanted, but she felt like she was forcing him into this. She felt like she wanted him more than he wanted her. That was the only difference between master and apprentice: she always knew what Anakin wanted. He was so dangerous, so reckless, and yet so predictable in all his ways.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" She asked him.

His ice-blue eyes burned into her soul. They etched a message into it, saying I want to. I want to so badly. That message was branded so deeply, she would never be able to forget it.

Obi-Wan hesitated. He truly did not know what he wanted, except to be truthful to her. As far as he was concerned, he had everything he would ever need there within the walls of their new apartment.

"I can't. This is not the Jedi way. I'm so sorry." He stood, regret on his face and in his heart.

And what hurt her the most was that he was telling the truth.