Part XV // War

The next day was tense. Every conversation they had was short and to the point. Neither had the courage to confront the problem. Meals were taken at separate times, no eye contact which lasted for more than a second was made. When nighttime came and the infants were safely in their cribs, Padmé lay on her bed, begging for sleep to come, light blue nightgown and dark hair cascading off the edge.

"We must talk," Obi-Wan requested as he entered her room silently. "There is no guest room here and I do not wish to sleep next to you if you are angry at me," he said, not unkindly.

"Do you think I would kill you in your sleep?" She asked, offering a small smile.

"You are strong-willed and stubborn, yes, but you are no murderess." A noticeable grin appeared under his beard and he sat on the bed by her outstretched legs. He made sure to notice everything about her before his demeanor suddenly became serious. "I wish to apologize for last night. I believe I reciprocate your feelings, but in a different manner."

"I forced you over the edge." She sat up and looked down at her lap. "I'm so sorry."

"There is nothing to apologize for." He reached for her hand and, in taking it, realized that it was cold. He dropped her hand, turned, and grabbed a banta-fur blanket from a table by the foot of the bed. He stood and wrapped it around her shoulders.

She only smiled and looked up at him gratefully.

"Please don't shut me out, Padmé," he said seriously. "If you relapse," he started, "I need to know about it." He saw her face show hurt, and immediately he felt remorse for even bringing the subject up. "I'm sorry." He kissed the top of her head and stroked her hair.

"Thank you for being here, for being with me," she said through light tears.

"I'll always be with you, Padmé. I'm the one you'll never be able to push away, no matter what you get yourself into."

"I do get myself into a lot, I guess." Her lips curved again into a smile, this time her brilliant white teeth showing.

"You do. But that is who you are, Padmé, and I do not wish any change upon you." He sat down beside her, one foot hanging towards the ground. "I believe I have had an abundance of time to rethink the events of last night." He swallowed hard. "Would you like to try again?"

Her smile dropped. "This isn't to make me feel better about it-"

"Not originally, but if this will relieve your painful thoughts, it may prove to be beneficial for both of us."

"I love the way you talk." She smiled, and in her eyes he could detect two things one cannot see, only sense: love, and want.

Hours later, she had fallen asleep on his right arm, sheets clutched to her chest and dark hair unfurled upon the pillows. He laid a gentle kiss upon her forehead, and she slept on.

He had just closed his eyes in contentedness when he heard two different noises: the call of an infant ready to be held, and the call of his comlink ready to be answered.

Padmé awakened slowly, her brown eyes adjusting to the slips of light entering through slotted window shades.

"Thank the stars you're awake." He smiled and placed another kiss on her forehead. "I must answer my comlink."

She nodded and stood up, dressed quickly, and headed towards the loudening cries of her children.

Obi-Wan stood up and pulled his attire back on, then reached for the circular comlink he had laid on the bedside table.

"Good evening, Master Kenobi," Ki-Adi Mundi's voice rang out, his figure the only one moving in what was left of the Council shaped on the comlink by a blue hologram. "The Council hopes that we have reached you in good health."

Obi-Wan watched as Aayla Secura shifted uncomfortably in her seat, her trademark blue Twi-lek tendrils swaying.

"The Council has," Obi-Wan said matter-of-factly. "Is there something you wish to inform me of?"

Ki-Adi hesitated. "Indeed. The Council desires that you continue your leave from Coruscant."

"We ask that you keep an especially protective eye on the Senator," said the Togrutan Jedi Master, Shaak Ti, serenely. "We sense another oncoming threat."

"I'm confused, Masters. I haven't sensed a threat since before she moved back to Naboo last week." Obi-Wan's face showed a bewilderment he'd never felt before.

"A big war, oncoming it is," Yoda said calmly. The green Master looked smaller than ever. "Cause to believe, we have, that coming for many, certain death is."