Chapter 125

I see it all in hyper detail for reasons I can't explain. The light shows me everything frame by frame. I can even spot Beth's first bullet rifling in midair. My vision tunnels in on it. It's followed by two more.

Two leaden mushrooms blossom against Gus's chest. The third catches his head on the way down.

Back in real time, I look to Sam. She keeps the revolver on Red. No change in expression. Still masking that smile.

Seeing her confidence keeps me loose. I can't help but match her smile. She glances back at me. I let out the nervous laugh I held in before. The way this night's been, it seems appropriate.

Red remains frozen at the light switch. Beth's attention shifts to him.

"Not a step forward. Not a single step," Beth says.

A weak "hi" is all Red can say. I remember how he mentioned outrunning an FBI agent. Beth must be it. She looks a flinch away from putting him down.

"Seriously, Red. Is there anyone who doesn't want to kill you?" Sam says.

I help Beth along. Better for her to do it than Sam. Or me.

"Kill him," I say to Beth. "He's not worth the linoleum he's standing on."

Beth doesn't break her gaze.

"I'm not here to kill Red. I just want him out of my way," Beth says. "My business is with you, Wil."

Red contorts his head toward me. "Run while you can. Get as far away as possible," he says. Has trouble forming the words through clenched teeth.

There's a genuine ring to his warning. Not sure how far I'd get anyway. Truck's out of gas. Storm's upgrading into a blizzard. Better to take my chances with Beth in here.

Just need to clear something up first.

"Would someone please shoot this mumbling fuck already?" I say.

Red stops breathing. His frantic eyes shift between Sam and Beth.

"Works for me," Sam says. Ends Red's life with a messy shot to the head.

*** PLEASE SUPPORT MY WRITING! ***

This story will only be posted on Wattpad for a limited time. If you'd like the full version, head to your favorite online e-book/book retailer and pick up your own digital/print copy. Search for "Invisible Hand Sobieck." Or leave a review of the book on Amazon once you're finished reading on Wattpad. Thank you. ~Ben