Chapter 123

"I'm surprised you remember me, Red," Gus says.

Gus stays in the dark of the living room. Still as a rock pile. Can only see the outline of him and a shotgun.

Red takes a step forward.

"Stop," Gus says. "Take another step, I'll shoot."

"You're not a real popular guy, Red," Sam says.

"Who the hell are you?" Gus says to Sam.

She squints at the living room.

"I had the same question. Can't make you out in the dark," Sam says.

"I can see you just fine. And I prefer to stay over here," Gus says from the shadows. "I'm a reserve deputy sheriff. About to be sheriff by default any minute. Are you Jane by chance?"

Sam shakes her head. "My name is Sam," she says.

"Sam's a boy's name," Gus says.

"Yeah, well, Gus's an ugly name," Sam says.

I want to snort a laugh. Too busy inching away from Gus's voice.

Gus's outline shifts. Like he's trying to keep his weight on one side.

"You here to give me my money or what, Red?" Gus says.

Red shows Gus his palms before speaking. "We don't have any money," he says.

"Then why'd I get a call telling me to come here to get the money?" Gus says.

Another voice from the darkness of the living room, this one female, chimes in.

"No one's getting any money," the voice says.

*** PLEASE SUPPORT MY WRITING! ***

This story will only be posted on Wattpad for a limited time. If you'd like the full version, head to your favorite online e-book/book retailer and pick up your own digital/print copy. Search for "Invisible Hand Sobieck." Or leave a review of the book on Amazon once you're finished reading on Wattpad. Thank you. ~Ben