Chapter 96

Beth holds up a hand to let Red know she'll answer the phone. Picks it up and listens.

"I never liked your partner," Jane says.

"I can see that," Beth says. Watches Red pace the room.

"Your partner died from autoerotic asphyxiation. While eating a sandwich. Got it?" Jane says.

"Understood," Beth says. Stares at Tom's body with the kind of morbid curiosity that sent her to the Bureau in the first place.

"Tell Red he can expect the same if he doesn't cooperate. That's on top of the photo the newspaper will now be running. You will receive instructions on where to find Wil in the morning," Jane says. Ends the call.

Beth sets the phone down. Debates what to do with Red. It only takes a glimpse of Tom's over-inflated, purple-black face to make a decision.

"Well?" Red says. The Python dangles in his right hand.

"I wait for further instructions," Beth says. "And you wait here."

"Bullshit," Red says. Looks up at the ceiling. "You hear that, Jane?"

Beth picks up the note. Looks it over. There's nothing exceptional about it. Save for one thing.

"Red, you should know something. That note says, 'Don't hold your breath.' I said it tonight when I was frustrated with Tom when he decided to stay here instead of go to the meeting," Beth says.

"So?" Red says.

Beth wags the note in front of Red.

"So Jane heard that. It had a meaning no one else could've known about. Or even heard," Beth says. Points to the sandwich. "He wanted supper instead of helping me. It means you'll end up dead if you don't stay in Betrug. You have to do things a certain way."

Red rolls his eyes.

"This is why I hate dealing with federals. If you even are one," Red says. "For all I know, you offed your partner for pissing you off, then met me in the park. You made up a conversation on the phone just now. You're Jane."

"I swear to you. I did no such thing," Beth says. Thinks how Red's theory is certainly plausible, if not a little paranoid.

"Good for you then," Red says. Turns to leave. "You could already guess this, but I'll just state the obvious anyway. When you finally do leave to get Wil, you'll see a truck in your rearview mirror. That's me."

"I'm telling you, Red. Don't. Jane will kill you," Beth says.

"Jane? You mean you, right? I'm not so worried," Red says. "I've got your gun."

He pauses. Waits for a reaction from Beth. Sees none. She's telling the truth as far as he can tell. Complicates things. Good thing he has twice the firepower now.

"I suppose you'll tell me not to hold my breath," Red says as he leaves.

"No. I wish you good luck, sheriff. Seriously," Beth says.

*** PLEASE SUPPORT MY WRITING! ***

This story will only be posted on Wattpad for a limited time. If you'd like the full version, head to your favorite online e-book/book retailer and pick up your own digital/print copy. Search for "Invisible Hand Sobieck." Or leave a review of the book on Amazon once you're finished reading on Wattpad. Thank you. ~Ben