Chapter 7

I woke up in the middle of the night and looked down to find a sleeping Luke. I got off him, hearing the Mermaid song... Oh no... Eris is back...

I quickly get off of him as he jerks up looking terrified. "The Mermaid song..." he says shocked. The song was banned from being sung by all Mermaids.

"Upon one summer's morning, I carefully did stray,
Down by the Walls of Wapping, where I met a sailor gay,
Conversing with a young lass, who seemed to be in pain,
Saying, William, when you go, I fear you will ne'er return again.

His hair hangs in ringlets, his eyes as black as soul,
My happiness attend him wherever he may go,
From Tower Hill, down to Blackwall, I will wander, weep and moan,
All for my jolly sailor bold, until he does return.

My father is a merchant — the truth I will now tell,
and in great London City in opulence doth dwell,
His fortune doth exceed ₤300,000 in gold,
and he frowns upon his daughter, 'cause she loves a sailor bold.

A fig for his riches, his merchandise, and gold,
True love is grafted my heart; give me my sailor bold:
Should he return in poverty, from o'er the ocean far,
To my tender bosom, I'll fondly press my jolly tar.

My sailor is as smiling as the pleasant month of May,
and oft we have wandered through Ratcliffe Highway,
Where many a pretty blooming girl we happy did behold,
Reclining on the bosom of her jolly sailor bold.

My name it is Maria, a merchant's daughter fair,
And I have left my parents and three thousand pounds a year,
Come all you pretty fair maids, whoever you may be
who love a jolly sailor bold that ploughs the raging sea.

While up aloft, in storm or, from me his absence mourn,
And firmly pray, arrive the day, he home will safe return.
My heart is pierced by Cupid, I disdain all glittering gold,
there is nothing that can console me but my jolly sailor bold."

They repeat the song over and over, making the ocean look black and deadly. "Eris..." I hiss. I put my feat in the water as my tail appears, but turns black with a silver shine upon it.

I look at Luke as he does the same. His tail changes as well. We jump in the water and I struggle to see anything. Soon we reach the surface and all we see is shark fins swimming around panicked. I understand why... We haven't used the Mermaid calling since 1700ds.

Sirens cannot sing this song because they can't sing words. That is how you tell Mermaids and Sirens apart. Mermaids use words to attract sailors; Sirens use their voices to cause chaos as they were made by Eris.

In the old day's mermaids became lonely because of the fact that there were no mermen. They would fancy sailors and try to befriend them. The thing is that the mermaids simply didn't know that humans can't breathe underwater, and at the time, mermaids could not stay out of water for that long. The mermaid offspring today was made by humans and mermaids mating and having children.

Luke and I turn around to the outside rock of the underwater cave and swim over, climbing onto it and out of the shark infested waters.

We sat and watched from afar how a dark tailed mermaid with pitch black hair and dark tanned skin sings the mermaid song. I lift my hands in the air and form a blue ball of energy, shooting it up in the sky, making my tail appear and turn back to its original purple blue colour.

The mermaids voice cracks, meaning I had caught her attention. I move the light towards her and watch as she shoots off the rock and inside the shark infested water.

I move the light so it enters the water, making it blue once again. It also calmed the sharks, so they returned to their homes. I just wonder how many Merfolk had been eaten or mutilated by the ravishing sharks.