Chapter Two

After the presentation I was shown to my room, and it turned out that Henrietta was sharing a room with me. I didn't mind. At least I was trustworthy enough to keep her secret. Its better I already knew than having to find out later. Plus, at least she wouldn't have to be secretive about anything.

I picked a bed, the one closest to the window, and unloaded my bedsheets and comforter. I began fixing my bed, finished in about two minutes, placing three pillows on my bed and setting one beside it. I then looked at Henrietta.

"Do you think our schedules match up?" I asked her curiously. She began looking for her schedule and I searched for mine. We began reading off our lists and all our classes were in fact the same time.

Which meant, we both needed to head to battle class. This is where our weapons would select us. Henrietta changed into baggy camoflauge pants, and threw on a matching tank top and jacket. Man, she was really serious about being as unnoticeable as possible.

I put on my satin, black hooded cape and we headed out into the corridor, followed and led by other students who were going to their classes. I noticed people eying me, then my cape which flowed gracefully behind me.

Henrietta elbowed me, then whispered, "Why are you wearing that cape?"

I looked at her from the corner of my eye. "It makes me more aerodynamic. Makes it easier when I'm moving up in the trees."

"But, wouldn't it catch on the branches and stuff?" Henrietta asked, blinking and looking back ahead. She adjusted her jacket, flipping her collar up. "I don't mean to question you or anything.."

"Nope, it doesn't get caught on anything. My mom had it charmed for me." I replied, rather proudly.

We got to the back of the school, and found the whole of the class already gathered. Jack was there, of course. Don't tell me my schedule matched up with his! Me and Henrietta moved to the front of the crowded students, and I looked straight at the instructor, averting everyone's curious gazes.

"Ah, you young ladies seem awfully confident, showing up to class late. Do you think I have nothing to teach you that you don't already know?" he hissed quietly, actually reminding me of a snake. He fixed his glasses, holding the bridge with his thumb and index finger. Without allowing us to answer, he continued, "Well then, I'm sure you wouldn't mind going first, now would you?"

Of course I wouldn't! But Henrietta seemed a bit hesitant. "Well, you should save the best for last," I said, placing a hand on Henrietta's shoulder. "I'll go first."

The instructor nodded, gesturing towards a layout of weapons behind himself. He looked at me and raised a brow. "Stand before the weapons. You will not choose one, one will choose you. Once one has chosen you, you will feel a strong magnetic pull to it. You will slice your finger on the blade, or be shot with a pellet if you get a gun, or you will simply grip the handle if you receive a sledgehammer or a non-edged weapon. Step up."

I already knew all of this. After all, both my parents and grandparents attended this school. My Mom actually gave me a rundown of how things worked here. I also did some research of my own. I stepped up to stand before the weapons, shivering slightly and closing my eyes. I didn't care which one I got, as long as it wasn't a gun. I'm a pretty poor shot. I waited to be pulled down towards a weapon, and when it finally happened, I almost tried resisting. It felt like I was under a spell. It felt like I could feel the world spinning on its axis.

The first digit of my index finger dragged across a thin surface, and I could feel the blood trickling down my finger. I still hadn't opened my eyes, but I heard everyone behind me gasp, so I immediately thought that I had gotten the worst weapon there was.