Chapter 4

There wasn't a single moment I wasn't thinking of Bill. Behind my eyelids, he lurked mysteriously, coming into view when I closed my eyes to briefly escape from the world. There he was, his glowing eyes begging me for more, always more. And I gave it to him.

I wasn't proud of what I was doing: shamelessly imagining an evil demon in sexy dreams, over and over until I was forced back into reality. I felt gross as I remembered the many fantasies, yet somehow it felt right. Like I was meant to be with him.

If only he felt the same about me.

No, I told myself, stop thinking of him. It'll never happen, so what's the point? I decided to focus on the code, see if there was a way to bring him back. So I could prevent it, obviously. Because, as far as everybody else knew, that's all I would ever want to do with that information.

"Great Uncle Ford!" I shouted. He rushed up the stairs, bursting through my bedroom door with a worried expression.

"What's wrong, boy?" He knelt beside me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "Are you okay? Why did you call me?"

Man, he liked to ask a lot of questions. I looked up to meet his eyes before showing him the code, messily scrawled in my journal. He frowned as he pondered the text, nibbling on the end of a pen, like how I did when I was deep in thought.

"Dipper, my boy," he finally spoke after several minutes. "This code is simple: it's a Vigenere cipher. I could crack it easily if I had the keyword, the word the code revolves around. But that word could be any - there are almost infinite possibilities. I'm sorry, Dipper. It's hopeless."

"Okay, thanks..." I muttered disappointedly, upset that I may never know how to bring Bill back, not that I even would.

Ford stood up and left the room without another word. Annoying. He could at least try to find the word with me.
I laid on my bed, depressed, looking for possible keywords, but none worked. Ford was right, this was impossible. Yet, for some reason, I didn't give up. I was filled with determination.

Mabel sauntered in at about ten, to see me collapsed on my bed, groaning and cursing under her breath, which smelt suspiciously of alcohol. I felt like she would be the death of me, but if she were, that's how I would want to go.

"Brobro, what the hell are you doing?" Mabel exclaimed as she saw my stressed, sleep deprived face. "Remember the last time you stayed up like this, and Bill-"

"YES, YES I KNOW!" I shouted, causing her to flinch at my maddened expression. I just couldn't handle hearing them talking about him like he was the bad guy. "JUST NEVER MENTION THAT AGAIN!!"

Mabel had tears forming in her eyes, welling up uncontrollably. I hated it when she cried, especially if I caused it. It was the worst feeling in the world.

"What's up with you?" She whimpered, trying to stay strong for me, prove to me she didn't need me, like I didn't need her. But I do need her. "You've been acting so... different. What's changed?"

"Bill."

I said one word before rationalising, controlling my thoughts. Mabel looked confused, but when she saw my guilty expression, she immediately knew what was going on, like a mind reader.

"Oh."

***

God, I hate Ford! He's probably not going to be in this much, and he'll probably be a dick when he is in it! Sorry, he annoys me. Anyways, Mabel knows! Ooooohhhh! Love you guys,
Em xx