Chapter 30

"Tough break, Pinetree," Bill's voice echoed through the oblivion, electrifying, but without its usual sarcasm, its taunting edge. "Sorry 'bout Shooting Star. She really didn't deserve all the stuff that happened to her. I shouldn't have used her issues to control you, t'was kind of insensitive."

"Yeah, sure," I bitterly dismissed his apology. "Look, I'm not in the mood to talking about it. Can you just leave me alone for a bit? I have to think about stuff."

"Sure thing. After all, time's infinite around here. Just call if you need me... Wait, what am I saying? Of course you need me."

Just like that, he materialised away from me with the swift snap of his fingers, leaving me alone in the dark, without any effort, sorrow, upon vanishing. I had never realised how cold it was without his presence, when he was so close I could touch him, only an arms length away. And, even though being deserted was what I wanted, a question still lingered in my mind. I had to ask him. Just to make sure...

"Bill!" I called out helplessly, as loud as I could, unsure if he could hear my desperate cries from wherever he had gone. However, my fears were quelled when, in an instant, he was back with me, standing over my kneeling figure.

"Geez, Pinetree, why'd ya send me away just to bring me right back, huh?"

"Look," I began rationally. "I have to ask you something. I just have to know, or I'll regret it forever."

"Shoot."

"I was wondering if I could become a spirit." I pitched to him. "You know, like a ghost. Not all the time, but I want to watch over my friends and family. I just want to make sure they're doing okay, without me. I'm not comfortable in just leaving them in their time of need. Is it possible?"

Bill laughed, the same laugh that haunted my dreams, that scared me out of my wits. "Of course, easy!"

He didn't give me an affirmative answer, much to my discontent. Instead, I suddenly felt his index finger sharply press against my temple, and, in the blink of an eye, I was there, outside the clumsy door to the shack. Bill was floating elegantly next to me, smiling mysteriously.

"You're a spirit," Bill explained as I marvelled at the world around us, the same as it was before, yet somehow new and refreshing. "The same state you were in when you were my puppet five years ago. You can see them, but they can't see you: you know the drill, right? Is this what you wanted?"

I nodded in awe as I entered the building, speeding around each room to find it just as I left it. The kitchen, where Mabel used to cook her glitter-covered meals. The lounge, where we used to watch those dumb TV specials together, like a real family. The bedroom, where, after a long, adventurous day, we would sleep in peace, breathing slowly and regularly as we dreamt, actually looking forward to the days ahead. Bill followed in my wake, smirking bemusedly at my joyful overreactions for everything around me.

It was better than seeing me defeated in the black.

***

Ooh, one more chapter left! Aaaand, that's all I'm gonna say! Love you guys,
Em xx