Chapter Fourteen

*Zayn’s POV*

People glared at me as I pushed through the crowd. I needed to get outside to my mum. She was waiting for me. I stepped outside and immediately wished it would stop raining. It was hard to see very far in front of me. I felt arms wrap around me and I began to panic. It took me a few seconds to realize it was my mum.

Her face was red and swollen, signs of her crying. I sighed, really wanting to believe this wasn’t happening. “How are you?” I asked her, trying to make conversation.

“I never would have thought something like this could happen to us. Zayn, she’s basically a daughter to me. I love her. What if she’s not okay?”

I fought tears back as I replied, “I know, mum. I love her too. And she’ll be okay. She’s tough.” Even saying this hurt me. What could I do? I was so used to saving her when she needed it. But now when she needed me the most, I wasn’t able to do anything. “Have you heard anything on the case? Have they found anything?”

She shook head, affirming my worst fears. They weren’t making any progress. They weren’t going after her right now. We drove to the police station and waited—for what seemed like hours—to speak with a detective.

His secretary led us into a lavishly decorated office. This guy obviously had money. Maybe he was excellent at solving cases. I really hope that’s the case. He was a rough-looking man, as if he’d been in many fights before today. He looks older than he probably is, wrinkles lining his forehead, a sign of thinking.

“Miss Melanovich? I’m Detective Miller. I’ve taken on your daughter’s case,” he says and Mum shakes her head.

“Tricia Malik, actually. Daniella’s parents both died in a car accident. She is the only Melanovich now. I am her primary guardian.”

“Pleasure to meet you,” he says to my mum and then turns in my direction. “And you are…?”

“Zayn Malik, Daniella’s boyfriend.”

His eyes immediately showed suspicion. Of course, I was the boyfriend. I was the main suspect. And with everything that had just happened with Daniella and me, it was more likely that I would look bad.

“Have a seat. Would you like something to drink?”

“No, thank you,” my mum answered politely.

Miller sat down and looked at us, sighing deeply before he began to speak. “We have our team investigating the house. We are searching ever room in the house, from floor to ceiling. In the meantime, I have a few questions for you. Zayn, you said you were Miss Melanovich’s boyfriend. You must spend a lot of time with her, am I right?” he asked.

“Up until about two months ago that was correct. But then I left to audition for the X-Factor.”

“But you’ve talked often?” he questioned.

“Yeah, we Skype and text each other almost every day.”

“And has Miss Melanovich mentioned anyone new in her life: a new friend from work or someone she met out walking?”

“Not that I recall. Dani isn’t really the type of person who goes out of her way to make friends.”

“Is there anyone you can think of that might want to hurt Miss Melanovich? Any high school enemies that might hold a grudge against her? An ex-boyfriend who just can’t seem to move on? An ex-girlfriend of your own that might be jealous that Miss Melanovich won your heart?”

“Daniella, her name is Daniella. And no, Dani’s really the first girl I’ve ever seriously dated. As far as I know, Daniella has no enemies,” I mutter.

“How has your relationship with Miss…with Daniella been recently?” he questions and I’m silent for a while, contemplating what I should say. I think about lying and telling him everything was fine between us but I don’t. If he was to find out later, it would look really bad.

“Daniella and I are going through a tough time.”

“Can you explain that to me?”

“Well,” I began, “I flew her out to see me and we had a pretty great time until she broke up with me and left.” I cringed at the memory, yet continued, “So I flew home to Bradford and she wasn’t home. Harry found her at a club and brought her home to me. Then we got into this argument and she left. She got in a car accident because she was crying. Then we were in the hospital and they told her that she lost the baby. And I didn’t know she was pregnant. And she said she cheated on me,” I finished and the thoughts made my eyes burn. “I said really mean things to her. Please bring her back to me so I can apologize,” I whispered. I swallowed the lump in my throat and fought back tears. I needed her back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Daniella’s POV*

Death seems lovely now. If I were to die now, I wouldn’t mind. But life is merciless and I’d never get the easy way out. My head was throbbing and I was just waiting to pass out from the intensity of the pain. My whole body was sore and I was finding it difficult to shift my weight off of my left side. I groaned and rolled over on the bed. I jumped a bit when I found his body next to mine. He woke beside me and I sucked in a sharp breath.

“Daniella,” he muttered and I closed my eyes, pretending to sleep. I felt him sit up and I could feel him hovering over me. I tried to stay calm as his fingertips traced my face. He trailed down my neck and I fought the urge to shiver. His hands settled on my breasts and he squeezed lightly. My eyes shot open and his face was merely inches above mine. He pressed his lips to mine and I tried to pull back. He straddled me while I struggled beneath him. He held my arms above my head as he forcefully shoved his tongue into my mouth.

“This will be easier for both of us if you just cooperate, Daniella,” he whispered once he pulled away.

“What do you want?” I asked, trying to regain my composure.

His thumb trailed over my bottom lip. “Isn’t it obvious, baby? I want you. That’s all I’ve ever wanted since the first time I saw you.”

“Who are you?”

He smiled at me. “The love of your life,” he whispered to me.

Zayn was the love of my life, not this man. Zayn was my everything, my every breath.

“How do you know me?”

“You don’t remember me? Daniella, I thought the memory would be imprinted in your brain. I thought surely it would have made you leave Zayn for me.”

That’s when I saw it. I knew this man from somewhere surely. I knew him from a trip to the beach. He was the guy who Zayn had nearly killed because he’d touched me.

“Nick,” I whispered.

He pressed his lips to mine. “The way you say my name is lovely. It makes me want you so much.” Then I realized what was going to happen.

“You will do what I say when I tell you to do it. If you do not, there will be consequences,” he states.

He pulled me up off of the bed and made me stand. “Take off your shirt,” he instructed.

I stood there, not moving. I wasn’t going to give this man a strip tease.

“Did you not here me?”

“No, I heard you. I’m just not going to do it,” I said.

The anger flared in his eyes and I gulped. His hand raised and I instantly gripped the bottom of my shirt, sliding it over my head.

“Your pants,” he instructed. I followed his instructions once more.

“Bra,” he said. I did this carefully, covering myself with my arms. He stood and walked towards me. “Don’t cover yourself in front of me.” He pulled my hands away from my chest. He pressed his body against me and I could feel his bulge.

His thumbs hooked in my lace underwear and he slid them down. They fell to the ground with ease. He stood back and stared, taking in my body as the bulge in his pants grew.

“Lie down,” he instructed and I did. He undid his jeans and slid his boxers down. I closed my eyes as he entered me and with each thrust a new tear fell.