Chapter Fifteen

*Zayn’s POV*

I’d say I just woke up but that would be a lie. I have slept all night. I’ve tossed and turned but couldn’t bring myself to close my eyes, for fear of what might hide in my dreams. So I’ll say I’ve just left bed, heading to the shower.

The hot water leaves me feeling uneasy about the day. What am I supposed to do all day? My girlfriend has been kidnapped and I’m just supposed to sit back and act like everything is okay. I step out of the shower and dress quickly. When I catch my reflection in the mirror, I’m shocked by my appearance. My eyes are red from tears and my face swollen. The dark circles under my eyes are prominent even against my tan skin.

I drive around for a few hours before my mum calls me. I consider ignoring the call but I know she would just worry. And at the moment, I don’t have the heart to hurt my mum, considering she feels like she lost a daughter yesterday.

“Hey mum,” I say, answering the phone.

“Zayn, I was worried. I woke up and you were gone. I thought maybe I’d dreamt it all. So I went over to Daniella’s house, thinking I would find her there.”

“But you didn’t because she’s gone, mum. I’ll be home in a bit.”

“Okay, Zayn,” she says and I can tell she’s fighting back tears.

“I love you, mum. You know that, right?” I whisper into the phone.

“I do. I love you too,” she mutters. Then the line goes dead and I set my phone down.

I pull into the store parking lot and park. I need something to eat. A girl about my age stares at me and I fight the urge to send her the middle finger. I look at her and she winks at me. I shake my head and roll my eyes. Her mouth drops; apparently she isn’t used to be rejected.

I’m not paying attention to where I am walking when I bump into someone. I stumble back and stare at the man. I begin to apologize but am distracted. He looks so familiar. A light scar adorns his face, right above his brow. He is strong and his muscles match my own. His eyes are wide in shock but slowly soften into amusement. He begins to laugh at me.

 “Do I know you?” I ask and he smirks at me.

“Yeah, actually. My name’s Nick. Nick Monroe. You beat the shit out of me for talking to your girlfriend.” Of course…this was the guy who had his hands all over Dani at the beach. I nod.  “How is your girlfriend?” he asks.

I almost tell him about her being kidnapped but I feel jealous of this guy knowing about Daniella. Besides, her disappearance is personal, not something I should be sharing with stranger.

“She’s fine,” I say and glare at him.

“Hmm,” he says and I push past him, angrily making my way out of the store.

*Nick’s POV*

Why the hell did I tell him my fucking name? Am I an idiot? Dammit! But he has no reason to suspect me so he won’t bring my name to the police…I hope. I finish buying food for Daniella. I know all of her favourites because I have been watching her for a long time now. She is my dream woman and she is all mine. She is being stubborn but she will warm up to me soon enough.

Ever since Zayn left for the X-Factor, I have been watching her every day and every night. But I’ve been planning this ever since she walked away from me that day at the beach. She left with him, even after what he did to me. That’s where I got the scar above my brow. I’ve hated him ever since. I’ve loved her ever since.

I tried to take her home a few nights ago. She was at the club and I thought she was drunk. But then she ran to that asshole, Harry Styles. I push my anger back as I pull up to my house. I don’t want to be angry in front of Daniella. I unlock my front door and step into the house. The house is completely silent but I’m not worried that she’s left. That would be nearly impossible. I set the groceries down and walk to our bedroom. Our bedroom; now that sounds lovely. She is sleeping and I decide to leave her alone but first I untie her.

I decide to make dinner for us. I make a pasta dish that my mum used to make. Just as I am setting the table, I hear a noise. She is awake. I straighten my shirt and run my fingers through my hair.

I admire her as she wanders into the dining area. “I made dinner,” I announce and she raises her eyebrows.

“Not hungry,” she mutters.

I sigh and say, “Well, you should eat. It’s been a few days since you ate last.”

Her head snaps up and her eyes widen in shock. “How do you know the last time I ate?”

I smirk and begin to laugh at her. “I’ve been watching you…obviously.” I pull out a chair and gesture for her to sit. She does and then I seat myself. “I thought that after you’ve finished eating, we could shower.”

We?” she asks.

“Yes, I’ll help you wash,” I say and smirk again. Her face is flushed and I can’t help but stare  at the lovely colour of her eyes.

“I’d prefer if you didn’t,” she whispers.

“You know the rules, love.”