Chapter Twenty

*Zayn's POV*

Hospitals are too white and the smell of antibacterial lingers heavily in the air, invading my nose and making me gag. I'm tired of waiting for the doctors to say something...anything. I've been sitting in this room, waiting for what seems like hours but has honestly only been merely minutes. My eyes are nearly sealed shut from crying too much. I don't know how much longer I can take it. I know that she isn't alive. I saw her stop breathing. I saw the colour slowly slip out of her face. I know that she is strong, so strong. But it will be too difficult to try and bring someone that far gone back, won't it? I feel myself drifting into a sleep but whenever I seem to finally reach the edge of slumber I am jolted awake with the odd notion of falling. 

A man dressed in all white enters the room and looks at his clipboard. "Zayn Malik?" he questions and I stand so quickly that I feel a bit dizzy. 

"What's the news?" I ask him quickly, not wanting to hear him say that she isn't alive. 

"Daniella was resuscitated on her way here. We have been monitoring her heart for an hour or so while also taking some tests. Everything has been fine so far and she woke up about 10 minutes ago. She won't talk to anyone; she just keeps asking for you," he explains and I feel a sort of giddy excitement. She is alive and she wants to see me. 

"Can I see her?"

"Of course, just follow me," he says and I begin to follow him down the long white halls lined with rooms. He stops at the end and opens the door for me. 

"I'll leave you two to yourselves. If you would like I could send up some blankets if you would like to stay with her tonight," he says, smiling. 

"That would be great, thanks," I reply, wishing he would just let me in so that I can see her. When he finally ushers me in and exits, I find myself just staring at Daniella and she stares back. She looks entirely fragile and I'm afraid to make any moves for the worry that she may just break. Our eyes make contact and she holds my stare for merely seconds before tears spill over my eyes and I find myself taking large steps towards her. Her hand that isn't wrapped in a cast reaches out for me and I grasp being careful not to hurt her. 

"I'm so sorry, Daniella. I'm so sorry that I wasn't at the docks sooner. I'm sorry that I didn't know how to find you sooner. I looked and looked and we hired a detective but we just couldn't find a lead. I was looking, trying to find you every single minute that you were gone. I'm sorry I left like that in the first place, without giving you the chance to explain yourself. I should have known that you would never cheat on me in the first place. Niall told me everything and I was going to come back but then you were gone. I wish you would have told me that the baby was mine. I would have come home and been with you and the baby. I would have kept you safe. I could have --," I rambled on. 

"Zayn, stop," she said and I looked at her questioningly. "Zayn, I don't blame you for anything...at all. Shit happens. I didn't tell you about the baby because, well, I didn't want to ruin your life. I wanted you to live your dreams and you couldn't do that with a child."

"Daniella Isabelle Melanovich, you are my dream. I love you and I don't want fame if I cannot have it with you," I stated. "So what's all wrong with you?" I asked her and she laughed. 

"Just a broken arm and hand. I had to get stitches in my back where he stabbed me," she explains as I wince. "Bruising and other stuff like that. Zayn, can I ask you something?" I nod. "Well, I was wondering..." she blushes and looks down. "Nevermind."

"No, ask me. I'll answer anything, honestly. 

"After all of this, are you still going to...want me?" she whispers and my heart aches at the thought of her insecurities. 

"Of course, Dani. I'll always want you."

"You promise?"

"I promise," I mutter and lean into her lips. They are warm, exactly the opposite of what I had been imagining for the past few hours. 

"I love you Zayn," she says. 

"And I love you."

~Authour's Note~

Yay for double updates!!!! Hope you like it!

Love you all and remember...

Stay Beautiful xx