Chapter 4: Trust No One

Gage and I were quiet as we drove

Gage and I were quiet as we drove. He seemed to be in a bad mood and I really did not want to make it worse.

It was hours before we reached Milwaukee. I'm not even sure where we came from but it was out in the boonies, clearly. The sun was gone from the sky and the streetlights were the only thing lighting up the neighborhoods.

As we neared the house I could feel my anxiety spike. My thoughts were spinning around the fact that I would have to see my father, my father who was lying dead in his office, where I left him.

"Hannah?" Gage called as he set his hand on my shoulder, startling me from my thoughts. Once my eyes met his before continuing, "I need you to keep to the story," I nodded and he reached for my hand. This was the Gage no one saw, the tenderness in his deep green eyes made my heart squeeze tighter in my chest.

"Right," I said softer then I head meant to and nodded, "We were at your apartment last night, Aaron is out of town and he doesn't know we are together..." Gage nodded with a smirk.

"We have only been together since my birthday," I looked at him for a moment taking in what he had said.

"No," his eyes widened and I smirked as I got a great idea, "We kissed at your birthday party three months ago," he nodded and his eyes narrowed as he waited for me to continue, "I broke off my engagement a few days later," he nodded deeper in understanding.

"We started seeing each other about... two weeks later?" he asked with a raised eye brow.

"Yes, but we didn't want my father and brother to know," he nodded.

"You snuck over to my apartment last night while Aaron was out of town. I was dropping you off, your father was supposed to be at work..." he trailed off, his hand lifted and his thumb brushed over my cheek, "Please don't cry, I don't like when you cry,"

"Gage," I said roughly, my voice thick from the tears I hadn't known were falling, "I don't know if I can do this," he smiled softly before gripping my chin gently and drawing my face up to look at him.

"You can do this Hannah," he smirked but I knew it was a smile. His eyes bright as he looked down at me, "You are stronger then you realize,"

"Why can't we just tell the police?" I whispered as I was drawn into his deep green eyes.

"You can't trust them. You can't trust anyone," I closed my eyes and nodded as he released me.

After a few moments we both exited the car and walked to the house. Gage gripped my hand as I stopped in front of the door. I was going to have to see my father. I glanced over at Gage and he nodded, the hard look on his face doing nothing for my nerves.

He opened the door for me as we entered and he led me down the hall. I stopped by the door and took a few deep breaths. Gage released my hand for only a moment before his firm grip was once more in my hand.