Chapter 3: Need To Know

"Hannah

"Hannah...?" Aaron's voice called through the door as he softly knocked. After a moment with no answer he pushed the door open and poked his head in.

"Oh thank god you're not half dressed," I couldn't help but let out a small laugh at that, "Are you hungry," he asked as he stepped around the door.

I shrugged my shoulders and shifted my legs off the bed, my knees cracking from sitting cross-legged on the bed for so long.

We didn't say a word as I followed him down to the kitchen that apparently was at the back of the house.

Gage nodded at us as we entered, he was sitting at the old, tile-looking table eating a piece of pizza from one of the boxes on the counter behind him.

"You ordered Pizza?" I asked looking over at Aaron. I thought we were hiding.

"I brought it," I turned at the familiar voice.

"Roy!" in the door way of the back door stood my father's old friend. He had been like an uncle to me and even though he was a burly and scary looking guy, covered in scars and a dangerous look in his eyes, he was my favorite.

He opened his arms wide as I ran over to him and wrapped my arms around him in a tight hug.

"It's been too long," he said in his raspy voice as he pulled me into a tight, protective hug.

He had told me once that he had known my mother, had been there when she died and swore to protect me because he couldn't protect her.

"What are you doing here?" I asked pulling away from the warm, familiar embrace.

"Aaron asked me to come," he looked up from where I stood, level to his chest, and over at Aaron who stood, leaning against the counter, behind Gage.

"What is going on?" I asked, looking between the two of them. Gage still sat at the table, staring at the pizza before him like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

"I thought Roy could help me explain more about what is going on," Roy gave a curt nod before heading over to sit opposite Gage. I walked slowly over to the table too, heading for the chair closest to me but Aaron stopped me, stepping over to the chair he motioned for me to sit, between Roy and Gage, in the chair nearest to the hall where we first came in.

We all sat in silence, the pizza growing cold between us. My attention was drawn to Gage. He was sitting to my left still staring at the plate before him. I seemed nervous, his hands clasped in his lap as he avoided all eye contact. To my right Roy cleared his throat and we both jumped and looked over at him.

The look on Roy's face was clearly for Gage as his eyes were cold and knowing. Was there something going on between them?

"I... I'm gunna go check the front," Gage stuttered out as he pushed himself up from the table. I watched feeling confused. I had never seen Gage act like that before. Then again, I had never seen him and Roy in the same room together before.