Chapter 9: Fancy Word For Caged

The house was quite when I walked out of the room the next morning

The apartment was empty.

It was strange. I hadn't been left alone in two weeks. The silence was both relaxing and unnerving.

Moving from the carpeted living room area to the tiled floor leading to the kitchen, I rounded the kitchen island and the door next to the next to Aaron's bedroom door, opened and Gage stepped out.

His hair was wet, heavy with water still dripping. His eyes didn't meet mine as my eyes slid down to his bare chest, still damp. Racking my eyes over his chest I felt my breath come fast.

"Gage?!" I gasped as I realized he was only in a towel, "what the hell?!"

"Sorry, I thought you were still sleeping," he sounded shocked and I felt my face warm as I tried it fight the image of him from my mind.

"So you thought it was okay the walk through the house half naked?" My throat felt dry.

"I forgot my clothes, I thought it would be okay to grab them with you still sleeping."

"Well I'm not sleeping," I said, my eyes being drawn to the window in front of me and caught his reflection. The hurt loom on his face made my heart clench.

"Can you just get dress?"

"Yeah, just let me grab my clothes," I nodded and closed my eyes and waited for the sounds of him moving across the floor, but I heard nothing.

The sound of a door closing made me jump. Turning, I found the room empty causing relief to flood through me and I shook my head.

i was scrambling eggs when Gage exited the bathroom again. He didn't say anything as he took a seat at the kitchen bar behind me. There was a mutual silence as i cooked, making us both breakfast.

As I turned and set a plate of scrambled eggs in front of him he smiled, "Thank you," nodding I rounded the kitchen island, taking a seat a stool away from him.

"you said you needed some stuff from the store," he sated out of the blue.

"Yeah, I need to pick up a few things,"

"It's alright, I'll run and pick it up," he said, rubbing his hands along his thighs.

"I really don't want you to have to pick up this stuff for me," he shook his head, standing.

"It's not a problem," I watched as he took his plate back around the counter and placed it in the sink.

"I feel like you are trying to stop me from going," and I knew it was true as he turned his green eyes to me.

"Aaron and I want you to stay safe, so you need to stay here,"

"I'm not a child, Gage, do you really think keeping me locked up is going to keep me safe?"