Chapter 24: Half Truths

"So let my get this straight," the officer frowned, he didn't like my story, "you were kidnapped by your ex-boyfriend, who murdered your father, he wanted to know how you knew that he did it and thought you were cheating on him

"So let my get this straight," the officer frowned, he didn't like my story, "you were kidnapped by your ex-boyfriend, who murdered your father, he wanted to know how you knew that he did it and thought you were cheating on him. He locked you in the basement, tortured you by beating you with a mallet..." he paused, looking up from his notepad, and I nodded my agreement to his retelling.

"You escaped by some interesting moves that we are surprised you could do..." his partner chimed in, earning him a dirty look from Gage and his partner.

"You escaped, by cutting him with a knife, severing the tendon in his elbow, and killed him by a very lucky throw?" the first officer continued, ignoring his counterpart.

"Well yes, I'm not sure if I actually severed the tendon, I was trying to, and I'm not sure if the knife actually killed him,"

"Right, the random gunshots that came from his neighbors, that's what you think probably killed him. I only nodded. That was really the only selling point of the story, trying to convince them that the shots were from bystanders and not from a rescue team.

"Okay, so how did you get here?" the partner asked, waiting for the rest of the story.

"I heard the gunshots and ran as fast as I could out of the backyard and through to the end of the ally. There was a group of kids walking down the block, when they saw they looked scared, but I begged them to use one of their phones. One of the girls let me and I called Gage to pick me up,"

"Why him and not the police?" the second officer asked, he seemed very curious about the whole situation. I glanced over at Gage, we had not prepared for this question.

"Because I trust Gage, I knew, no matter what, he would come get me and keep me safe," I smile softly at him as I spoke the truth. More then likely I would have called him over the police if he had not been there.

"Okay, thank you for answering all of our questions," the first officer stood, his back cracking from the uncomfortable hospital chairs.

"We are sorry this happened to you," the second one said, "if you think of anything else, please give us a call," his smile was warm, making me glad I told the police.

I sighed once the police left the room, and Gage pulled me into a hug. We sat there silently until a throat cleared, drawing our attention to the doorway.

"Roy!" Instantly Gage released me and I quickly went to Roy for a hug.

"Hi, princess, how are you feeling?" his words mumbled into my hair as he hugged me tightly.

"I'm feeling alright," I pulled away, getting slightly dizzy and the swift movement, "part of it having to do with the pain meds," he chuckled, leading me back to one of the chairs in the small, privet sitting room, one like the one we all sat in when my mom...

"I would like to hear the story but first, I want to know what the damage is," his words seemed almost cruel, damage? referring to my injuries as damage?