Chapter Fourteen - Past memories

I shuffled away from Zack, cringing as I felt his breath hit my neck again.  His eyes were like green pools that seemed to make me want to give in to him. No, I thought. I’m stronger than that, show some willpower.

‘Stop it’ I growled, forcing my hand from his tight, almost bone crushing grip. He wasn’t the Zack I remembered, but even my memories were starting to fade now. But suddenly a question popped into my head and waved about, desperately wanting to be asked.

‘You weren’t born a vampire, were you?’ I asked, uncertain how he would react.

‘Please’ he scoffed, looking straight at me. ‘I was born more human than you’ he laughed, holding my hand softly. He was calmer after he had just drank, he seemed less angry and tense.

‘I can show you how it happened if you like’ he smiled, a Cheshire cat grin appearing across his cheeks. His eyes seemed to sparkle as if he had an idea that he was thinking about. I didn’t really want to see but I nodded, scared as to what would happen if I said no. He took my hand and shut his eyes, I shut mine too. It felt suddenly cold and as I opened them, I saw an orange flickering of some candles.

The room was freezing, and the walls made of dull, grey stone. There was a smell of copper in the air and the room was barely lit by a candle in the corner of the room. There was a locked and bolted up door on the wall in front of me, my head snapped up as I frantically tried to look for Zack, but he had just vanished. The drip of the rainwater seemed to send shivers down my body, making its way down my spine. There was a large, broken table in the corner that had one leg ripped out. I hugged my knees and shivered as an icy breeze stung my arms. I heard loud shouting from outside, someone’s voice that sounded familiar. I heard footsteps and watched from a shadow. I knew what was going to happen just not how.

‘Just get it over with!’ I heard a loud voice boom so loud it seemed to shake the room, the bricks crumbling. ‘You know what you have to do, unless you want me to’ he boomed again. I heard a faint sobbing, drowned out by two people shouting at each other. The bolt was unlocked and a guy was pushed in. The door was locked behind him but the guy had passed out on the floor. I shuffled over to his body which was shaking violently.

‘What’s happening?’ I whispered, knowing nobody could see me or hear anything I said.

But his body kept shaking, he has eyes shut tight and from what I could see he was sweating heavily. His hair was matted and messy, he seemed so weak that breathing was a struggle. He managed to haul himself onto his hands and knees, crying out in pain as they gave in and he heard his leg crack. He held it tight and sobbed, looking at the blood. I sat back and hid my eyes as he tried to snap it back into place, he screamed so loud it bounced off the walls.

When I opened my eyes there was another guy in the room, his skin so pale it stood out through the darkness. His eyes shone like gems. The guy on the floor was trying his hardest to shuffle away from him, but he just stamped on his arm.

‘Stop moving and I might make it quicker’ he growled, picking him up. The guy was too weak to stand on his own and his cries of pain became quieter and more panicked. He kept his eyes shut, almost glued. He shook his head weakly as the guy gripped his neck and pinned him to the wall.

‘D-don’t p-please’ the guy pleaded, tears streaming down both of his cheeks. But he just gripped harder and chuckled darkly. I looked up at them both, trying to scream for him to let the guy go. He hadn’t done anything wrong. But instead the guy holding him bared his two long fangs.

‘This. Is for all the times you’ve sniggered at me. For all the pain you’ve put me and her through. You shouldn’t even be receiving such a gift, but think of this as a punishment you can’t get out of. One that will last forever. Made to kill your oh so special human race just for food. Maybe now you know what is yours and what is mine. Like the place? This will be the last thing you see with your human eyes, the place you will take your last breath. The place where everything changes. For you, this is death. For me, this is my revenge.’ He spoke, staring the guy in his now open eyes that clouded with fear.

‘I-I’m sorry’ the guy sobbed, trying to pull the hands from his neck. He let go but held him up to the wall, his fangs now inches away from the guys neck.

‘I can feel your blood. You’re scared, this will make it more enjoyable for me’ he smiled, breathing onto the guys neck. With his tears now flooding his face the guy bit down. An ear piercing scream echoed in the room, I covered my ears as the scream started to split my eardrums. The scream started to fade and the sound started to leave his body, along with his life force itself. The guy pulled away and wiped away the blood from his mouth with his sleeve, his fangs still protruding. ‘Oh trust me, that was the least painful part’ he chuckled, kneeling down to the guy’s lifeless body. He bit down again, injecting venom that ran its way through his veins. His eyes darted open and he tried to push him away, feeling like his body was being slashed from the inside out. His veins were on fire and his eyes turned an almost jewel like green.

Then I could see the pain he was in. All his bones seemed to break at once, creating sheering daggers of pain. His heart seemed to pound around the room, and the guy pulled away. He watched as the victim’s body turned a ghostly pale and his hair jet black, and most importantly, he had fangs. His body became better built and he passed out, but it wasn’t over.

The guy, who’s eyes had gone bright red from the amount of blood, picked up his body and laid it on the table in the corner. He laid heavy, silver chains over him and strapped them to the leg of the table. He screamed before blacking out.

‘One day of shear pain then it’s over. Be patient. I’ll leave you some...sustenance’ he chuckled, throwing what appeared to be a young girl into the room then locking the door behind him. I heard the loud bolts and new sobbing of a teenage girl, who seemed to back into the wall in fear. I shook my head, I wanted to get out of here.

*********

‘Shh, you’re okay’ Zack spoke softly, holding me to his chest and rubbing my back. I shivered and nuzzled closer to him.

‘That was you, the guy being turned, wasn’t it?’ I asked, trying to get the images out of my head. He nodded and looked down, wiping a tear that rolled down his cheek as he remembered for himself. ‘I shouldn’t have shown you, I’m sorry’ he sighed.

‘You looked like you were in so much pain’ I tried not to sob, looking up into those same bright green eyes.

‘I was. It felt like I was on fire and my body was being ripped apart. I just wanted to die. Doesn’t help the fact that the person who turned me was your dad. Let’s just say, that’s why we don’t get on’

‘I kinda guessed’ I sighed, looking down. I wanted to cry from what I’d saw but I wanted to find out more. I stroked his cheek softly and sighed. ‘What happened after?’ I asked, despite knowing what a state he was in at the moment

‘I was locked in there for two days. Bit the girl on my first because it made the pain subside for a moment. After the two days and a lot of panicking as to what had actually happened they let me go. I never thought I’d see any of them again, so I ran. Not knowing how I was going to survive. I went a bit reckless in the first few years’ he sighed, standing up from his seat. I looked up as he showed me the faded scar on his neck. ‘I can still feel the venom in my veins’ he added.

I ran my tongue along my fangs, sighing. I’d never have to go through that, life didn’t work like that. And people who were humans and were turned are thought of as less important for some reason. Because humans were only thought of as food.