Chapter 17- Could it be him?

"So class, today we will be discussing the topic of mates," Mrs. Wen said, one of my newbie werewolf class instructors. She taught us the history of werewolves while Mr. Baines taught our training/fighting sessions.

An excited whisper grew across the room. I had briefly heard about mates, but didn't understand much about them, so I leaned forward in my chair, intrigued by the topic.

"As you all have probably already heard, all wolves, whether born or bitten, are given a mate selected by the moon goddess. Your mate is the other half to your soul. The goddess allows the two mates' paths to cross at exactly the right time in both their lives, not a moment to soon, not a moment too late. You two will be mated for as long as you both shall live. After meeting your mate, so long as you do not reject each other, you will mark each other. The marks will signify to other wolves that you are mated. All marks are different, but this is mine" Mrs. Wen lowered the collar of her shift to reveal a beautiful intricate, black tribal tattoo covering the right side of her neck. She pulled her collar back up and continued. "Once that occurs, you will be able to read each other's minds and feel each other's feelings. After meeting their mates, female will go into heat a few times a year and the two mates can chose whether to have a child or not at that time."

A hand raised in the class. "Yes Claire?" Mrs. Wen asked.

"How do you know when you meet your mate? What does it feel like to be with them? Is it love at first sight?" Claire asked, dreamily.

A dreamy look had crossed Mrs. Wen's face and I could only guess that she was remembering meeting her mate for the first time and what it felt like when she was with him. "Well, Claire, it's much more than love at first sight. The feelings you will have for your mate are indescribable. Your love for your mate can only grow stronger and strengthen with the days you spend with them. You help each other grow stronger and will feel the fierce need to protect them. When you touch, tingles spread through your skin and you can feel each other's emotions thought the mate bond. You get butterflies in your stomach, that never fade away, no matter how much time you spend together. You will know when you have met your mate because your wolf will recognize your mate's wolf. They will tell you when you meet your mate."

I had a flashback to when I was shopping at the mall with my mom. I had heard a voice whisper 'mate' to me. At the time, I had thought I was insane, but I now recognized that voice to be the voice of my wolf. She had whispered to me when I saw David and....Tyler.

My heart pounded in my chest. My wolf had told me that Tyler was my mate. I had always known that Tyler was special to me, but I had never imagined it was like this. My happiness bubbled up inside me and I could barely sit still in my chair.

Mrs. Wen glanced at her watch. "Now class, I have a meeting with the Alpha today, so I am going to let you out early."

I practically sprinted out of my desk and out the door. I ran to Tyler's house. He couldn't meet me today because he had his training time switched, but he should be done soon. I knocked on the back door and walked into the kitchen to be greeted by Mrs. Davidson baking cookies.

"Hi, darling," she greeted me.

"Hi. Mrs. Davidson, is it okay if I wait for Tyler here?"

"Oh absolutely!" she said, beaming. "Here, have a cookie."

I graciously took the cookie and bit into it. It was still warm and gooey and the chocolate chips melted in my mouth.

"It's perfect. Thank you!" I said, smiling. A thought popped into my head and I asked, "Mrs. Davidson, do you remember when you found out Mr. Davison was your mate?"

Mrs. Davidson smiled and looked as if she was looking the past. "Yes, Kate, I do. We were in high school. I was shy and didn't talk to many people. Jack was the quarterback. He was tossing the football in the hallways and one of his friends passed it a little too far and we collided into each other. He literally came crashing into my world. After that, we were inseparable."

I smiled to Mrs. Davidson. "That's so sweet."

"Did you find your mate yet honey?" she asked while putting the cookies on a platter.

"I think I did," I said, waiting for her reaction.

"Oh, that's wonderful! He's such a lucky boy!" she beamed at me. "Who is it?"

Just then, Tyler opened the door, his body covered in sweat.

"Ladies," he greeted us, kissing his mom first on her cheek, then me on my cheek.

I smiled and felt my face heat up.

"Hey Ty," I said shyly.

"I'm gonna go shower really quick before the Silverlight pack gets her," he said, snatching a cookie and heading upstairs.

"You give me those filthy clothes of yours to wash before those stains don't come out!" Mrs. Davidson yelled up the stairs. She shook her head and followed up after Tyler.

I had completely forgot about the Silverlight pack coming today. They were the next pack over and our packs were getting together to have a bonfire and cookout tonight. I had been so excited that I completely forgot. It's okay. I could tell Tyler later. I mean, surely he's known all this time after his wolf told him.

I munched on a few more cookies before I heard Tyler's footsteps come down the stairs. "Ready for the bonfire tonight?" he asked grabbing a handful of cookies. "All us younger wolves usually go off on our own and have a small fire."

"Ooo, sounds fun," I said. Tonight would be the perfect night to mark Tyler at the bonfire under the full moon.

The sound of a horn came from the front of the house, signaling some of the Silverlight pack had arrived. Tyler and I rose as Mrs. Davidson came down the stairs and we all walked outside to the front of the house, where we saw several people piling out of the black car.

"Hey, Ty" a guy around our age said. He was built with short brown hair and emerald green eyes.

"Hey, bro, how's it going?" Tyler said, and they hugged.

A tall man got out of the drivers seat and a guy and a girl came out of the back passenger door. They stood off to the left and spoke with Mrs. Davidson. A short brunette came around from the back driver side door.

Tyler froze and sniffed the air. "What is that smell?" he said. "Coffee and caramel?" He looked around and his eyes landed on the brunette just as her eyes landed on him.

"Mate!" he practically shouted.

Okay, so please don't hate me.  I hate myself for writing this chapter and almost didn't do it, but it's where I saw the story going.  I was rooting for Tyler and Kate too, but for the story to go where I want it to, they can't be mates.  This is what had to happen. I'm sorry!  I promise you Kate will get her happy ending, but it will come a little later in the story.  Please keep reading I promise it'll be okay!!