5

Adam looked up at me with his once smooth, gentle eyes, which now looked old and weak, and lacked that bright and brilliant sparkle of life they once held. His face was pale, white as a ghost, and I knew. Adam was ever so slowly dying. He didn't have a lot of time left. By the looks of it, maybe a few months. I had been at the offices for some time at this point, and I had grown especially close to Adam. "Jin?" Adam asked weakly, "Am I going to be ok?" The tears started to stream down my face. Could I answer him truthfully? The truth hurt like hell for me. I needed Adam back. "Adam," I answered. "Things don't look very good for you, I'll be honest." Adam slowly turned his head, looking a little sad as well as very distant. The doctor wheeled him into his hospital room, and sent a nurse out to talk to us. The nurse introduced herself. "I'm Marry Larson, Adam's nurse. Unforunately, your friend is in a very severe state. The blood is still gushing uncontrolably. If it weren't for that purple jacket, he'd have been dead within a matter of seconds." I stared down at the floor, hands behind my back. I had saved Adam's life. At least for the time being. Marry continued speaking, "I'm going to have to ask you guys to leave. I'm sorry." I gritted my teeth. "I can't leave him." I said, tears streaming down my cheeks. "I just can't leave him like this." All eyes were on me now. "Adam is my very best friend. I made a promise to always stand beside him through everything. I won't leave him now, thank you. Ms. Larson." I said. She pulled me aside. "I know this is hard for you, but you have to do what's best for Adam." And so I left. We all went back to my place, and I layed it all out for everyone. "So Adam was attacked." I finished, "And don't think I won't find the worthless piece of crap who did this!" I screamed, and punched the wall, breathing heavily. I couldn't think about this. I just couldn't. I was angry. I was scared. I was above all, worried about my dear friend, who was most certainly special to me in the best way possible. I loved him, and I wasn't about to give up on him. Adam was a miracle to me. He'd always been there for me. When I was sick, him and his wife, Alesa, would come over, and Adam would cook homemade chicken and noodles for me. If I felt a little down, Adam was always the first to come comfort me. He was an amazing person. How could I not love him?