Chapter 7: The Anniversary

EMMA'S POV

I haven't left my room in days, other than to eat. And even then, Scott, Isaac and Melissa have had to force me. 

All I can think about is Boyd. He's dead. Just like my parents. Just like... No, I will not think about that. 

If I had just figured it out sooner, I would have been able to do something, do anything. I just feel so... I feel so helpless and useless. 

I keep going over these thoughts, playing out scenarios in which Boyd would have lived. 

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK. Three loud bangs pull me from my thoughts. I stay quiet, hoping that it's Melissa and she thinks that I fell asleep. 

"Em, please." I hear Scott voice from the other side of the door. I slowly stand and walk towards the door. We still haven't gone on our date, but I'm not so sure anymore. Not after what happened...

"Please, I just want to talk." Scott pleads again. I sigh and open the door slowly. Scott's eyes light up when he sees that I listened. 

"What's up?" I ask, my voice rough from my lack of communication. 

"Lydia texted. She found her way to the school when she wanted to go to the store." Scott says. 

"Oh." I say, running a hand through my hair. "I guess you should go." Scott's face falls when I say 'you' instead of 'we.' 

"Em, please. You need to leave the house at some point." He says softly. 

I open my mouth to counter, but close it when I realize that he is right. "Alright." I say, running my hands over my face. "I'll change." I leave the door open and head to the bathroom. 

I push the door closed and change into a t-shirt and jeans. I walk back into the room to see a blushing Scott. "What?" I ask, grabbing my phone. 

"I-- uh..." He says, trying to look only at my eyes. I turn back to the bathroom and close the door. I turn back to Scott but hear the door squeak open. I turn back to see the door open. "Oh..." I say, my face widening in surprise. 

"Yeah..." Scott says, scratching the back of his neck. 

"So you saw--"

"I didn't mean to. I was just coming to see what was taking so long." He blurts out quickly. 

"We should-- we should go." I say, hoping to end the awkward conversation.

"Yeah." He says, following me out to his bike. He jumps on and I hesitantly wrap my arms around his chest and hold on for dear life as the motorcycle roars to life. 

We arrive at the school at the same time as Stiles. He gives me a weird look before we all meet Lydia and Allison in front of the school. 

Both girls also give me a weird looks, just like the one Stiles gave me. Lydia shakes it off quickly before saying, "It's the same thing. Same thing as the pool. I got into my car heading somewhere totally different, and ended up here. And you told me to call you if there's a dead body." Lydia shivers. 

"You found a dead body?!" Stiles exclaims.

"Not yet." Lydia sighs. 

"'Not yet'? What do you mean 'not yet'?" Stiles asks. "You're supposed to call us after you find the dead body."

"Oh no, I'm not doing that again." Lydia says as I look around. "You find the dead body from now on."

"How are we supposed to find the dead body?" Stiles asks as I freeze at the sight before me. I know Scott can hear my heart beat so it is no surprise that he faces me and slips his hand into mine. "You're always the one finding the dead body."