XVI

"I don't cry," I told Spencer as we exited the FBI entrance. He furrowed his eyebrows as he looked down at me.   

"That's theoretically impossible," he began. "While the majority of the reason why people tear up may be caused by an an upsetting emotional cause, humans can tear up by simply yawning."

As much as I missed those unnecessary facts of his, that one was completely not fit for the situation. I looked up at him, not a muscle in my face moving, probably scaring him away in the process because he looked forward again.

"I'm just trying to inform you that everyone  tears up once in a while, it's not humanly uncharacter-"

"-Spencer," I cut him off, my eyes glaring right into his soul, he immediately stopped talking and shrugged.

"Fine, you don't cry," he gave in, I could feel my spirits lifted in amusement and I could swear I felt the muscle in my face lift up and smile, but if I were to see my own reflection I would have noticed I didn't even get close to a smirk. 

We stepped onto the sidewalk as I avoided his persistent glare. I could sense his glare from a mile away. The wind hit my face and my hair was flying all over the place as I continued to look away, but after a long awkward moment of silence, I finally just looked over to him and his eyes widened. He cleared his throat before speaking. 

"Quantico hasn't really changed since you've been gone," he told me, his eyes dropping down as he watched me, causing me to frown. "Everything's pretty much the same," he muttered and I looked away again. Everything's the same except for me.

I huffed a breath and crossed my arms.

"That's good," I replied, twisting my body to avoid his confrontational look, but he leaned over to get a better look at me. I furrowed my eyebrows and glared back at him. "Weren't we supposed to go for a walk?!" I snapped at him. His eyes widened again and he leaned back in surprise. He quickly nodded and headed towards the sidewalk near the street. I quickly followed and clenched onto my crossover bag. 

"Where are we going?" I asked, finding it difficult to follow his long strides. I felt a little rude for snapping at him, but even though Quantico hasn't changed in the last few months, it didn't mean I haven't. I tried my hardest not to see mean, but the desire to prove to others that I am the same strong woman I was months ago has become my main priority. "I'm only asking because I only have an hour lunch break!" 

He grinned down at me, "So do I." 

I frowned as I realized he wasn't going to tell me where we were going. It meant I had to trust him, but the problem was that I didn't trust anyone anymore. 

I surreptitiously opened my purse and grabbed the black pepper spray bottle in case I needed it. It wasn't that I suspected Spencer of pulling something he shouldn't, but you never know what might danger might come across our path, and who knows if this twig can take a punch-

Oh, gosh, Natalia! Shut up!

I mentally frowned as I scolded myself. Spencer is not the enemy. He is not the enemy.

We immediately came to a halt at the crosswalk as we waited for the white stick man to appear on the screen. 

"How was your vacation?" He asked me as I felt my stomach begin to twist and turn. I frowned and bit my lip. I quickly shrugged and replied,

"It was fine," I lied. Truthfully, those last few months have been anything but fun. Truthfully, they've been torturous hell. Before he could analyze me with his profiling skills, I quickly changed the perspective. "How about you? How have you been?"