Brokenhearted

Kiana

Cedric, Harry and I arrived early in the Room of Requirement for the last D.A. meeting before the holidays and was very glad we had, because when the lamps burst into light I saw that Dobby had taken it upon himself to decorate the place for Christmas. I could tell the elf had done it, because nobody else would have strung a hundred golden baubles from the ceiling, each showing a picture of Cedric, Harry and I's face and bearing the legend HAVE A VERY HARRY CHRISTMAS! Cedric, Harry and I had only just managed to get the last of them down before the door creaked open and Luna Lovegood entered, looking dreamy as always.

"Hello," she said vaguely, looking around at what remained of the decorations.

"These are nice, did you put them up," Luna asked.

"No," said Harry, "it was Dobby the house-elf."

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it.

"Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

"So how were the try outs," Cedric asked.

"Well it's not going to be easy training three new people. But I think Ginny, Christian and Jake will do great things," I said.

"Who's playing Seeker," Harry asked.

"Me," I said.

"Who's Chaser," Harry asked.

"Ginny. Christian and Jake are our Beaters," I said.

"I am so sorry," Harry said.

"I'll just have to write new plays," I sighed.

"If you need help I can —" Harry began.

"I think I'll be able to manage my team," I said.

It grew awkwardly silent. I didn't realize that everyone gathered in the room.

"Okay," Cedric said breaking the silence. "I thought this evening we should just go over the things we've done so far, because it's the last meeting before the holidays and there's no point starting anything new right before a three-week break."

"We're not doing anything new," said Zacharias Smith. "If I'd known that, I wouldn't have come."

"We're all really sorry Cedric, Harry and Kiana didn't tell you, then," said Fred loudly.

Several people sniggered. I saw Cho laughing and felt the familiar swooping sensation in my stomach, as though I had knocked my face into glass.

"We can practice in pairs," I said. "We'll start with the Impediment Jinx, just for ten minutes, then we can get out the cushions and try Stunning again."

They all divided up. I partnered with Neville as usual. The room was soon full of intermittent cries of "Impedimenta!" People froze for a minute or so, during which their partners would stare aimlessly around the room watching other pairs at work, then would unfreeze and take their turn at the jinx.

Neville had improved beyond all recognition. After a while, when I had unfrozen three times in a row, I had Neville join Ron, Jake, Christian and Hermione again so that I could walk around the room and watch the others. I saw Harry nod at me then look at Cho. So I went to her partner. When he passed Cho she beamed at him; he looked like he wanted to be near her.