Chapter 6: Recap in Time.

My eyes flicker open to the sound of Ponyboy and Two-Bit fighting over some bet. Darry stood outside the door to my hospital room talking to the nurse and doctor. I can tell he is flustered over something, because his eyes are squinted like they were when he told me to return the police folder. They agree on something and enter the room.

"Hey, kid." Darry said. Two-Bit and Ponyboy stop arguing and notice I'm awake.

"Well, look at you. Your awake!" Ponyboy says. Sodapop steps in the room with his arms filled with snacks and drinks from the vending machine down the hallway.

"Got our snacks. Oh...hey Munch, your awake."

"Hey, everybody. When can I go home." I pleaded.

"Now actually." Darry said chuckling. "Steve is getting a wheelchair for you."

"I don't need a wheelchair. I'm fine, really." I struggle to leave my bed and start to fall when Ponyboy rushes to catch me. "Thanks, Pony."

Ponyboy repositions me in his arms and now is carrying me, he sets me down in the wheelchair Steve just entered with.

I never realised how strong Ponyboy is. He is so cute. I thought to myself.

Next thing I know, Ponyboy and Sodapop are putting me into the truck and Steve is pushing Two-Bit in the wheelchair. Darry yells at them, because Two-Bit hit the curb and tipped the wheelchair over landing on the nurse.

Soon enough, we arrive home, and I'm carried in by Sodapop. I didn't mind him carrying me, but I prefer to walk on my own. Soda set me down in his and Pony's bed. My eyes felt heavy and, of corse, I fell asleep.

~

"Ponyboy!"

"What, Darry?"

I heard the rumble of my empty stomach sound.

"Go wake up Munch, for supper."

Another familiar female voice spoke, "I got it."

I was already awake when Kal walked into Ponyboy and Sodapop's room singing an Elvis Presley song to awaken me.

"Oh your already awake."

"Yeah, I have been." I spoke in a raspy voice.

"Supper is ready, if your hungry."

"The hospital's food was horrible, so yeah I am very hungry." I said while ignoring my growling stomach.

"Do you need help up?"

"No, I think I got it." I said getting up.

I walked out the door and into the bathroom to pee. Luckily the seat was down, I thought to myself that Kal must have used it last. I washed my hands, stumbled out of the bathroom, and seated myself at the table. I felt way stronger than I did when I left the hospital.

"I feel like I can run a mile." I said smiling.

"Now Munch, doc says to take it easy."

"I was just kidding, Darry!"

"I know kid, now come get your plate and some food."

Everyone at the table was quiet, especially Kal, until Ponyboy started talking about old stories about when their parents were still alive.

"Can I ask y'all a question?"

"Anything, Munch." Ponyboy said.

"You said you know my momma, Pony. Right?"

"Yeah, what about her?"

"Randy made fun of her being...umm...social. He said he even slept with her."