Chapter 8: Kal's Point of View

Kal's Point of View

"I can't believe you're back already."

"Never mind that, Darry! My little sister is gone."

"Calm down, Kal. Pony has probably taken her to Windrixville to cool off."

"They've been gone for three nights. Don't tell me to calm down, he probably going to bring her back pregnant or something." I scream in his face.

"Pony is not like that. Don't worry they'll be home soon. Anyways how was your trip here?"

"It was fine. The bus driver charged me extra again."

"I'll talk with him, darling." Darry's lips locked with mine.

"What's going on here?" Sodapop stepped into the kitchen with an empty plate of chocolate cake to place in the sink.

"We should just tell him, Kal."

"We can't, he'll tell Munch."

"Kal and I have been seeing each other for years now."

"I found out about Randy and didn't tell anyone but Darry." I took a hard swallow. "He was there for me and we fell in love. Randy didn't even know until right before he-"

"It's okay, Kal, he knows about what happened to Randy" Darry said while rubbing my shoulder.

"I can't believe this, Darry. You've been seeing her this entire time. What happened to no fighting? Huh? Or no lying or secrets? Huh? What about that? What happened to that?" Sodapop was in tears now.

"Don't freak out, little buddy."

"Don't talk to me, Darry, and make sure your...your...girlfriend leaves me alone too." Sodapop took off like a bullet out of the front door.

"Shouldn't we go after him?" I asked surprised at Darry's reaction.

"He wants to be left alone, so that's what I'm going to do."

"He's just a kid, Darry. You can't let a kid run off like that. I'll get the keys, let's go after him."

"No, Kal, he wants to be left alone!" Darry's voice grew louder and louder.

Slamming the screen door behind me, I run after Sodapop. I knew he took a left once he reached the end of the walkway to their house.

He's probably at the lot. Maybe the movie house, but I'll check the lot first. I thought to myself.

Finally arriving at the lot, I heard a familiar slow toned voice come from fifteen feet away. Since my glasses broke on the bus and the sun set on the person's back, I couldn't tell who it was.

Finally Sodapop's voice saying, "Go away, can't you see I don't want you here?"

"Fine, I'll leave, but let me get a few words out first."

"Then you'll leave me alone."

"I promise."

"Well, let's hear it then. Let's get this over with. What do you want?"

"Your brother feels real bad about not telling you the whole truth." I gulped and scratched the back of my neck between breaths. "You don't have to like me, Soda. You know that, right?" He nodded in agreement and motioned his hands to make me hurry along with my story. "But right at this moment, Darry is the only person I can trust, be close to, and love. I wasn't there for Munch like I should have been. She thought of me as a friend not as a sister and things could have been way better if she did. We could have been like you, Pony, and Darry." Warm tears fled down my cheeks.

"Darry almost lost Pony and I."

"What do you mean by 'lost', Sodapop?" My curiosity grew.

"In the paper they said that Darry could have lost Ponyboy and I to a boys home."

"Oh, Soda. I didn't know that, I'm so sorry."

"Yeah, everyone always feels bad for Ponyboy and Darry, but no one thinks about me."

"That ain't true, Soda."

"It's as true as what I just told you. We all regret things, Kal, things we can't fix or take back, but we have to stick together. If we don't stick together something bad happens."

"I'm sorry, Sodapop, but come home."

"No! I don't want to see Darry! He's lying and keeping secrets! I knew something was suspicious, he's been sneaking out late to you! I knew it! I knew he had a secret girlfriend."

"Come home, Soda."

"No!"

"Look, if you come home with me, you'll be warm, in the house. It's freezing out here and you'll die of shivering too much."

"Fine, but if it weren't for Darry killing me if I got sick then I wouldn't be going with you." I laughed and led Sodapop home safely.

~

The next morning I was awoken by Darry.

"Kal! Kal! Sodapop is gone! He's gone!"

I knew immediately where he had to have gone. To confirm myself, I walked into his bedroom and shut his window that seems to always be open, blowing around the contents or his and Ponyboy's room. Searching his room for a note, I find one that had been blown under his bed.

Dear Darry and Kal,

I decided to meet Ponyboy and Munch in Windrixville. I called the place that they are staying and decided to go there. I will come back with them and myself in a little while.

Sincerely,
Sodapop.

Running back into Darry's room, I show him the note and calm him down.

"Just wait a few days and they'll be back."

"I can't lose them too." I've never seen Darry cry but that last sentence made him choke up a little.

"I'll make us some breakfast and in the meantime, we have the whole house to ourselves." Rediculously he grinned and followed me down the stairs and into the kitchen where he wrapped his large arms around me and watched me cook.