Chapter 11: Fight for Ponyboy.

I sat awake on a white bench. I was back in that old playground, except it was new again. My clothing was white and not a sight that I could see was bad. Everything was perfect. Standing up, I realise I can walk again, and I hear voices from across the playground.

"Hello?" I question.

"Daphne." Two welcoming man voices said.

Strutting across the playground I find that Dally and Randy sitting on a bench, dressed in white as well as I was.

"Am I in heaven or something?"

"Your wherever you want to be, Daphne." Randy said. His voice was genuine and sweet unlike all of the other times I have encountered with him.

"Does this mean I can stay with you guys and get to know you both?"

"Look, Munch..." I loved how Dally called me by my nickname, "you gotta get back down there. You gotta go back to Ponyboy. I fought and I tried to stay with him, but I couldn't take the pain anymore."

"No, I wanna be with you, daddy." Tears streamed down my cheeks. My tears were the only imperfect thing about this place.

"You gotta fight for your life and for Ponyboy, Munch."

"No, I wanna be with you, Dal. Kal made everything worse down there. Wait a minute...Kal is shot. Is she dead?"

"That's for you to figure out when you go back down there. You don't belong up here, Munch, you're too young. You're going to get back down there, and go to college, and be with Pony. You two are going to get married and move to Windrixville to live together. You gotta do that for me. When the time is right you'll come up here and get to know me, I promise."

"But I love you, Daddy, and I wanna be with you."

"I love you too, Munch, but you have to get back down there and fight for Ponyboy. Do it for Pony, Munch. Do it for Pony."

"No! No!" The space between me and my daddy grew bigger and bigger. I looked down to see that my legs aren't moving, but my body is.

~

Lying awake in my hospital bed, I look around. I spot Sodapop staring out the window in shock, still with his lifeless face. Ponyboy was at my side, holding my hand. He had fallen asleep on my arm, causing it to go numb. Kal was wrapped in a blanket while sitting in a chair across from me. She had fallen asleep as well. Darry was in the chair next to me and was sleeping uncomfortably on the wooden armrest. He was bandaged up as well as Kal. I could already hear Steve and Two-Bit walking down the hall. They were talking louder than I've ever heard.

"Ponyboy." My voice was soft and hoarse.

My arms wouldn't budge when I tried to lift them. Finally I got the strength to hold myself up. Slowly, I kissed the top of Ponyboy's head, and whispered his name in his ear. Lying back down, he began to realize I was awake.

"Munch!" He screamed and began kissing me all over.

Sodapop turned his head and as soon as he saw that I was alive, his face light back up, and he was the same old Sodapop.

"Munch!" Sodapop squealed, waking Darry and Kal.

Kal sat there in her seat and stared at me with a warm smile in her face.

"Kal!" I yelled. "I'm sorry for what I did, and I'm glad you told me. I love you and I thought I was going to lose you."

"Lose me? I thought you were dying on me." She joked. "Doc said that you weren't looking so good."

"How long was I out?"

"Two days."

"It seemed like an hour."